Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Rootbeer w/out yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
iLoveOlivier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Rootbeer w/out yeast?

I know this may seem like a dumb question, but is there anyway to make root beer without using yeast? I've just been diagnosed with a food allergy to yeast, which is pretty sad.. I wasn't upset much at first, since finding alternatives for baking yeast seems relatively simple, but then I read that root beer would be a problem. Nooooo!

So if anyone could help me with the proper information I'd be very grateful, since i'm an avid root beer-lover.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 04:24 AM   #2
lowlife
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 33

force carb, buy a kegging system

Old 08-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
zorcy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You could drop in some dry ice and cap it. It's hard to judge the amount to the carbonation level though.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
sendkyleanemail
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Using a keg system would be the way to go.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
joe2131
Recipes 

I'm new to this but I didn't have much luck with the yeast. My son really didn't like the taste difference so I tried to move to force carbonation with little initial investment in case this was a failed cause. I use a keg charger that uses the "carbonator" cap and a cornelius ball lock fitting. I found that I now want to upgrade to a full keg system with at least a 5lb co2 tank. I found the keg charger and cap for less than $40 and some co2 cartridges on eBay at a good price. The downside is I can't control the level of my carbonation and keep it consistent. But at least I know I like the result and the cost was minimal. I can use all but the keg charger itself when I upgrade and I plan to use it for when I move into beer. Fizz Giz is a similar product to what I use and can be easily searched out online. But as I've already pointed out I'm planning on beer next and the Fizz Giz will soon be obsolete to me.

Edit: And to answer your initial concern about problems I have had less trouble with forced carb vs yeast. It takes about 20 min and I've found that if both your gas and soda is cold it carbonates better. For a 2L batch I've got it under 15 min time to make a fresh batch. If I refrigerate it after I carb it and before I take my carbonator cap of sometimes the bottle will shrink and I simply carb it better.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Agreed, force carb with cap or keg from a co2 tank with regulator and air hose and ball lock. All in all, the investments will about that as purchasing a soda stream unit but will cost less per batch of carbonated beverage. Or, you could just go with a soda stream system to make carbonated water/beverages.

Psst, keg beer and carbonate with the tank, but after carbing, disconnect, bring it to a party and dispense with the keg charger rather than dragging the tank along since the beer would already be carbed. Same if you brought a keg of soda somewhere, it just gives dispensing pressure at that point since that decreases as liquid is dispensed.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Agree on kegging with Carbonator cap. I've made 5 or 6 batches this way and its super easy. Kids enjoy the process too.

If you do not plan on kegging beer someday, then a keg charger & carbonator cap is fairly cheap. Will take a fair amount of cartridges though which can add to the batch costs.

Primary #1: Border Crossing Vienna #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3:Empty
Kegged
: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Ice Shanty Bock

Old 08-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
iLoveOlivier
Recipes 

Thank you all for the advice, I'm very excited to try these out!
Have a good day!

Old 09-20-2012, 03:56 AM   #9
matt_the_weird
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

do you need to add sugar if your going to force keg

Old 09-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 64

You only add the sugar to make the rootbeer. Most use water, extract, and a whole lot of sugar.

The carbonation does not require any extra sugar. I only carbonate 2L bottles (have not kegged). For that you chill the 2L down to serving temps, attach CO2, set regulator to 35 psi, and shake pretty vigorously for a couple of minutes. Disconnect and its done.

Primary #1: Border Crossing Vienna #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3:Empty
Kegged
: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Ice Shanty Bock

Quick Reply