Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Root beer recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2008, 09:20 PM   #1
newbrewr4fun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Root beer recipe

Well I have the ingredients and equipment to make root beer. My home brew guy set me up with some 16 ounce pet bottles for the root beer. Does anyone have a recipe I could use with these bottles?

Also, I assume that everything needs to be sanitized. I read somewhere that pet bottles need a special cleanser before their first use. I was not made aware of this before I bought the bottles, can I just clean and sanitize as usual? I was thinking of just running them through the sanitary rinse cycle on my dishwasher and soaking the funnel and measuring utensils in Idopher.

I have found a recipe for 1 gallon of root beer which calls for 2 2 liter bottles. Can I just use that recipe and mix everything in a pot then funnel into my smaller bottles?

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
Brew-Happy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbrewr4fun View Post

I have found a recipe for 1 gallon of root beer which calls for 2 2 liter bottles. Can I just use that recipe and mix everything in a pot then funnel into my smaller bottles?

Thanks in advance.
I can't comment on the rest.

I have been using 20oz bottles that I recycled from office colleagues and they are working great. I calculated that six 20oz bottles roughly equals 3.5 liters. According to Excel conversion tool, you should have about 8.5 bottles from that recipe. Just make them all the same level for 9 bottles.

I mix all of the ingredients, including the yeast(room temp water) in a large pot. Then I let it set for several minutes to hydrate the dry yeast. Then I ladle it into the bottles via the funnel. Works every time for me. In fact, I have 6 bottles on the counter carbing as I type.

Good luck.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply