Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Root beer question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
duskb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Root beer question

I got a bottle of that Zatarains extract and was about to brew up a batch today but I've read enough stuff from the archives to worry me about proceeding. Even though the directions on the extract explain that you should condition the beer in bottles the general consensus here appears to be that its actually risky and potentially dangerous, especially if you don't consume it right away because the yeast will blow the bottles up.

Not that I want to tempt fate but I assume many folks have been able to successfully make root beer in bottles without a catastrophe. Is there a trick to this? Why can't glass bottles work? How does one do it safely?

Cooincidentally, I was originally planning on kegging the crap but after reading up on it I am totally not onboard with the hassle of dealing with over-cleaning root beer flavored lines and o-rings, I finally got my kegs to stop reaking of Dr. Pepper. I need my kegs for real beer. Not to mention I don't have hoses long enough to accomodate the pressure anyways (7').

Bottles seem easy...some WLP001 and wait....I just don't want to deal with bombs...give me the straight scoop.

----
Dusk Bennett
Audio Engineer
Los Angeles CA
www.duskbennett.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2009, 01:30 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4783 Times on 3478 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Plastic is recommended for soda because the yeast doesn't know when to stop. You add sugar to the soda, for flavor and to carbonate the soda. At warm temperatures, the soda can be carbed up in 24-48 hours. When the plastic bottle feels hard, you put ALL of the bottles in the fridge. That should slow down the yeast so you don't have bottle bombs. Of course, that temperature doesn't kill the yeast, just encourages them to go dormant. If the bottles warm up again, the yeast will continue to eat the sugar and the bottles will explode.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:45 AM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I only do two liters at a time, using, you guessed it, two liter soda bottles. I let them get rock hard and then into the fridge. Works great if you can easily cut your recipe down to that size.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

When I use glass bottles, I just fill one or two plastic soda bottles from the same batch, store in the same place and use those to monitor pressure. When the PET bottles are nice and firm then refrigerate the whole batch. Just be sure they stay refrigerated until consumption, they will start up again if they get warmed back up.

I usually use champagne yeast (Red Star Premier Cuvee), about 1/4 teaspoon per gallon.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 06-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
jeremyjudd
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Would it be possible to drop your yeast in, wait until the proper carbonation has been reached, and then cool or heat your bottles to the point where any leftover active yeast is dead so you have carbonated soda that will not continue to carbonate? I'd like to bottle some and ship to my father but I don't want the bottles exploding on the way over...

Old 06-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

Quote:
and then cool or heat your bottles to the point where any leftover active yeast is dead so you have carbonated soda that will not continue to carbonate?
Yes, you can pasteurize with heat, but that process can be a bit risky since the pressure increases while heating.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 629 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Carbonater cap FTW!

Old 07-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
Brewin_the_goods
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifishsum View Post
When I use glass bottles, I just fill one or two plastic soda bottles from the same batch, store in the same place and use those to monitor pressure. When the PET bottles are nice and firm then refrigerate the whole batch. Just be sure they stay refrigerated until consumption, they will start up again if they get warmed back up.

I usually use champagne yeast (Red Star Premier Cuvee), about 1/4 teaspoon per gallon.
That's using the old noggin there. I had this same question, and this is a damn good answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bluewagons View Post
homebrew is for sharing. A$$hole brothers are for punching. See if you can cleverly combine the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salanis View Post
And Jesus too. He loved wine. Total party guy. Rolls into a party, "What, all you have is water?!? Wine, bitches!"

Quick Reply