New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > root beer extract with other ingredients?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #1
bking0217
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default root beer extract with other ingredients?

I recently bought a 12-pack of Zatarain's root beer extract on Amazon, thanks to a link from a fellow member. The question I had was, has anyone used this stuff as a base to make some really spectacular root beer? I mean like adding other ingredients to make it taste more "craft-like".

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
fartsnostink
Recipes 

bump..
i have some of these as well, tried two to a keg, added loranne rootbeer flavour (one and two drams) natural sugar, molases and brown sugar. but i cant say i've had any winners with my son

Old 02-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
bking0217
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks for the reply. I just wait until the shipment comes in and see if there's a recipe with the extract. If so, I'll make a batch with their recipe and go from there. Wether in cooking, brewing, or whatever, it's just not in my nature to not screw with the original recipe.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
daft
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Mine really disappointed me in sodastream mode. A lifetime supply of weak, mediocre flavor. To taste its essence, pour some into a lemon lime soda... blah. Try mixing a good root beer with lemon lime soda and it highlights it rather than weakens it.

Of course you have to shake it a lot to get the sediment off the bottom. I tried adding double chocolate flavor drops, which seemed to help. Vanilla extract didnt help. I think a brown sweetener like amber or dark caro syrup would help... earlier posts said to add treacle or molasses.

Maybe i'm missing something, but why use this stuff if it doesnt do its job and you have to pile in cover up ingredients? I had better luck with the zatrains beans and rice mix that i included with their extract order.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:54 AM   #5
StroudCreek
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I just made my 2nd 2.5 gal batch using zatrains I used 2 cups of brown sugar and 3 cups of table sugar, one pack of champagne yest mixed in a half cup of warm water. I also used bottled water and it's freaking great.

Finley Creek Brewery

• On Tap - Mulberry Wheat, Pumpkin Ale, Chocolate Extra Stout, Pale Ale, Bourbon Barrel Porter
• In Bottles - Oktoberfest
• In Primary -

Quick Reply