Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Root beer with DME

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 06:25 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4262 Times on 3104 Posts
Likes Given: 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefoxicy View Post
I've noticed the root beer extract comes with instructions to use a big chunk of corn sugar (HFCS) to flavor the root beer. A lot of people swear by cane sugar, though; and there's always white sugar around anyway.

I'm thinking everything on the shelf uses HFCS, and I don't feel like using cane. DME however has a really smooth texture and interesting taste. I think I'll fire that down instead of corn sugar, and use champagne yeast (I've seen it done with ale yeast... bread-like flavor).

Thoughts?
This sounds nitpicky, but I don't mean it to be. I make ginger ale and root beer, because I am anti-HFCS. I also don't use aspartame or other artificial sweeteners. HFCS is NOT corn sugar. High-fructose corn syrup is an artificially made syrup ( made to increase the fructose content) that is used in many commercial applications- especially soda. I don't think it's a healthy choice, so I make my own if I want it. Cane sugar (sucrose) and corn sugar (dextrose) aren't really that different, so I use either one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #12
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

What Yooper said - Corn Sugar is not HFCS.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:29 PM   #13
bluefoxicy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
This sounds nitpicky, but I don't mean it to be. I make ginger ale and root beer, because I am anti-HFCS.
Interesting! I thought HFCS was corn sugar; although, mind you, HFCS can indicate 55% fructose 45% glucose or 85% fructose 15% glucose. Table sugar (sucrose) I know splits into 50% glucose 50% fructose, but I'm not sure what dextrose is.

I'll look into the malto dextrin thing.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:38 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4262 Times on 3104 Posts
Likes Given: 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefoxicy View Post
Interesting! I thought HFCS was corn sugar; although, mind you, HFCS can indicate 55% fructose 45% glucose or 85% fructose 15% glucose. Table sugar (sucrose) I know splits into 50% glucose 50% fructose, but I'm not sure what dextrose is.

I'll look into the malto dextrin thing.
Well, chemically dextrose ("corn sugar") and sucrose are very similiar. When you say HFCS can indicate certain percentages of sugars, that's correct. The HF comes into the whole "high fructose" part. It's chemically changed to add more fructose (more sweetening power) to it. It's NOT something you would use in winemaking or beer making, or even for soda. Well, at least I wouldn't. That's why I make my own stuff- to get rid of chemically altered crap in my food and drink.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #15
vapor2020
Recipes 

There are lots of options here for sugar. You could use honey, raw sugar, white sugar, corn sugar or DME. Its always worth making a gallon to try the taste. If you do try the DME, you should post what it tastes like. It sounds like a valid experiment.

Quick Reply