Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Root beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
Dstreetbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Root beer

Any tips on making root beer. I am waiting on the bottles. Just looking for some tips

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Don't use a kit or extracts. Buy the fresh herbs. When I get home from work, I'll post my recipe for you. It's an old style root beer, but it tastes great. Looks like cream soda though.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 01-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Dstreetbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That would be great. I manage a resturant and they have this extrac that they want to make some with. I offered to make it because I have the stuff to do it with. I was a bit weary about useing the extrac.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
durangobrewsupplyllc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't think the extract is that bad personally and it's a lot faster. My thing is using cane sugar and not putting in as much as the extract recipe calls for. Make it to taste adding sugar in 1 cup quantities and it will be great. You can even add herbs or spices to change it a little for personal taste, but if you haven't done soda before an extract isn't a bad way to start.

My $.02

Cheers

Old 01-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
Dstreetbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The recipe calls for 6cups of sugar to 4 3/4 gallons water. That seems like a lot to me, would u say 4-4 1/2 cup would be fine?

Old 01-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4367 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstreetbrew View Post
The recipe calls for 6cups of sugar to 4 3/4 gallons water. That seems like a lot to me, would u say 4-4 1/2 cup would be fine?
You can always add less to start, and add more if it's not sweet enough. One of the reasons I like homemade soda is because I don't have a sweet tooth and commercial sodas are too sweet. I think most people DO like super sweet sodas.

One nice thing in root beer is to sub a little of the regular sugar with brown sugar. Gives the root beer a great flavor.

I used to always make a small pitcher of rootbeer, weighing the ingredients. When I got the "right" flavor, then I'd duplicate it in a bigger batch.

Maltodextrine is nice in root beer, it gives body and fullness without additional sweetness. Don't add too much though! My son accidently used too much and made root beer jello in his bottles.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
durangobrewsupplyllc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I agree with adding a little at a time you can always make it sweeter. I also use the idea of starting with a 1 gallon batch and keeping track of percentages and turning it into a full 4 and a half gallon batch that the recipe calls for. Its all about creating something that you like that isn't available commercially

Old 01-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
cdubbaya
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
Don't use a kit or extracts. Buy the fresh herbs. When I get home from work, I'll post my recipe for you. It's an old style root beer, but it tastes great. Looks like cream soda though.
I'd love this recipe as well. My wife is pregnant and LOVES root beer. I told her I'd make her some (ya know, she is having my baby and all).

I was going to go with the extract, but after looking around, I think I'd rather make it from scratch.

Honey Double IPA

Old 01-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here's the recipe I used and it turned out great. It's a lot different than commercial root beer though, so if you're looking for something along those lines, then you may want to use an extract. This is great for floats too. I can't remember where I found this recipe, I just had these notes saved on my computer. I added a little extra licorice and wintergreen to give it a more modern rootbeer flavor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, put about 5 quarts of water into your favorite brew pot, and then add:

•1 oz sarsparilla root
•1 oz sassafras root bark
•1 oz cherry bark
•1/2 oz licorice root
•1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
•1/8 oz cinnamon (about half a stick)
•2 to 4 oz raisins (you can add more if you like their flavor)
•1/2 tsp salt
•3 cups honey
•1/2 cup molasses
•4 lb sugar
Simmer this mixture for an hour or so, until you have a 5 quarts or so of syrup left in your pot (remember, adding all that stuff increased your volume by a couple of quarts).

Once this is boiled down, strain your mixture into another pot and add:

•1 tbsp vanilla extract
•1 tsp wintergreen or birch extract, or 1/2 tsp pure essential oil

Stir a bit, and then bottle in 1-quart jars. Due to the high sugar content, this should keep fairly well, but you could always use a plastic jar or bottle and store it in the freezer (do not put glass into the freezer). To make the root beer, just mix 1:4 with water (one part syrup + 4 parts water) and carbonate4. Depending on your taste preference, variations in cooking times, and/or the spices you used, you may find that the ratio needs to be adjusted for your batch, so don't hesitate to use more or less syrup to get the flavor just right.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 01-14-2012, 05:01 AM   #10
Dstreetbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am planing on putting the root beer in glas bottles little "nips" for a corse in a beer dinner my resturant is doing. Every thing I read about root beer leads me to believe that I'm gonna have 2 cases of broken bottles from them exploding. Would u suggest letting it ferment in my fermenting bucket with the air lock for about 12 hours befor bottling.

Quick Reply