Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Rio vs LorAnn

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
morval
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Rio vs LorAnn

What is the difference Pros/Cons between the two concentrates besides Rio being four times the size and half the cost? I'm guessing you need to use more of the Rio? Praire Moon's website is great, lots of recipes and stuff. With the LorAnn flavourings I would probably need to do more experimenting I guess.

Thanks,

Konrad

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Lorann's is meant to be a concentrated extract. Many of them are billed as 100% essential oils. So where you would use 1 oz of extract in a recipe, you would use 1/4 to 1/2 oz of their flavor oils. I'm also not sure if any of these are water soluble. If you're tinkering with a recipe like the OpenCola recipe, then these are probably what you are looking for. A number of them are natural flavorings, some are N&A, I'm not sure if there are any that are just artificial.

Rio's concentrates are meant to be a standardized concentrated syrup. So you know that 1 oz of banana concentrate will make 1 gallon of banana syrup just the same as 1 oz of orange concentrate will make 1 gallon of orange syrup. That might not necessarily be the case with Lorann. If you're looking for an easy mix concentrate, then Rio is probably the route you want to go. Since nothing I can find lists their concentrates' ingredients, I would guess that these are all artificial flavors or N&A at best.

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Old 08-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
morval
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFoodScientist View Post
Lorann's is meant to be a concentrated extract. Many of them are billed as 100% essential oils. So where you would use 1 oz of extract in a recipe, you would use 1/4 to 1/2 oz of their flavor oils. I'm also not sure if any of these are water soluble. If you're tinkering with a recipe like the OpenCola recipe, then these are probably what you are looking for. A number of them are natural flavorings, some are N&A, I'm not sure if there are any that are just artificial.

Rio's concentrates are meant to be a standardized concentrated syrup. So you know that 1 oz of banana concentrate will make 1 gallon of banana syrup just the same as 1 oz of orange concentrate will make 1 gallon of orange syrup. That might not necessarily be the case with Lorann. If you're looking for an easy mix concentrate, then Rio is probably the route you want to go. Since nothing I can find lists their concentrates' ingredients, I would guess that these are all artificial flavors or N&A at best.
Thanks for the very good answer. Gets me to understanding the difference a bit better.

I'm guessing LorAnn's would be more useful for flavouring baked goods and Rio would be more useful with anything liquid. But LorAnn's can still work with liquids, but some might not be water soluble as I've read somewhere else as well.

I'm wanting to make my own soda's and icecream with the sugar I choose.

I think I'll give both a try and see how I like them. Too bad Rio shipped to Canada costs more than the actual product, 12 flavours cost around $35, shipping is $40. Probably going to work out to over $7 a bottle after taxes and border stuff!

Old 10-07-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
Firefly72
Recipes 

LorAnn does make a line of flavors especially designed for beverages and ice cream, called LorAnn Fountain Flavors. You can get the best price from Netrition:

http://www.netrition.com/lorann_oils...lavorings.html

Or if you buy straight from the LorAnn website, they are more expensive, but they have a greater variety of flavors available (especially in the quart size):

http://shop.lorannoils.com/templates...x?GroupGuid=80

On a per ounce basis, they're definitely more expensive than Rio, but perhaps the flavor is better and it might be worth it to some people. I've been meaning to try some of the LorAnn Fountain Flavors myself, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #5
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If the oil won't mix with water, soft drink companies deal with this by using an emulsifier like gum arabic/Acacia gum.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:14 AM   #6
Firefly72
Recipes 

Going by the list of ingredients provided by Netrition, the LorAnn Fountain Flavors do not contain any oils.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #7
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly72 View Post
Going by the list of ingredients provided by Netrition, the LorAnn Fountain Flavors do not contain any oils.
It's the "flavors" that would be oils.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:37 AM   #8
Firefly72
Recipes 

These flavors are a special, separate line that was developed to use with beverages and ice cream. Here is a list of ingredients:

http://www.netrition.com/lorann_oils....html#NUTFACTS

I suppose one of us could call or email them to get a definitive answer, but I do not believe there are any oils in the Fountain Flavor line.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #9
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly72 View Post
These flavors are a special, separate line that was developed to use with beverages and ice cream. Here is a list of ingredients:

http://www.netrition.com/lorann_oils....html#NUTFACTS

I suppose one of us could call or email them to get a definitive answer, but I do not believe there are any oils in the Fountain Flavor line.
What makes you think there's no oils in those flavors? In fact, the presence of xanthan gum implies that there is. The oils would make up many of the "natural and artificial flavors."

Old 10-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
Firefly72
Recipes 

Well I emailed them asking about this tonight, so we'll get an answer soon enough.

Quick Reply