Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Recipes for homemade sodas!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
gabiwhit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Recipes for homemade sodas!

Hi, I work at a science center where we make homemade soda all of the time...Usually root beer, cream soda, vanilla cola, and raspberry cola. But we have a ton of different extracts (orange, lemon lime, ginger beer) and we would like to use those, too. We've tried making them with vanilla, lemon juice, etc. and they don't turn out well. Does anyone have good recipes or suggestions for any of those extracts?

We usually make 8c of soda with 1c of sugar and carbonate it with dry ice.

Thanks!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Don't turn out well how? Is there not enough carbonation? Not enough sweetness? A chemical taste? A bitter taste?

A lot of times when the flavor isn't well rounded, we recognize that something is wrong, but can't pinpoint what. You need to think about what components are in a 'true' flavor that you're trying to match that may not be in your extract.

For example if you're doing a fruit flavor, you'll get a more true-to-type flavor if you add citric acid.

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Old 07-07-2011, 04:07 AM   #3
Moonpile
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

I'm really new at the homemade soda thing. I just got a Carbonator cap recently, used it to carb the beer that wouldn't fit in my kegs.

After I drank that I made a two liter batch of Tazo Passion tea, sweetened it with 1/4 cup of sugar and carbonated that to 30 PSI at 50F, before moving it to my actual refrigerator which is colder.

It's really quite nice. I was looking for a lower sugar soda and I might even experiment with less than 1/4 cup of sugar.

Quick Reply