Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Real Ginger Beer, and how much alcohol can the plant tolerate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #31
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

the GBP loved its spa treatment, it grew a fair bit and i could see new globlets forming at the liquid/air interface, like tiny snotty whisps. and when i added it to a 4L batch the gravity dropped quicker than i've ever seen. 1.044 to 1.036 in a matter of hours. foaming away. i also added a bit of molasses and eggshell to this batch. it is really going for it. after this batch i think i will have enough to set some aside and dry it to keep as reserve

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #32
dinnerstick
Recipes 

Old 03-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #33
sisuuk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Awesome! I put some marmite, molassas, organic sugar a little lemon juice and a touch of cream of tartar in mine and for a couple days it was really going.... still not sure how to get growth or long term storage (meaning 1-2 week storage). Thanks for your other posted info.... haven't really looked at it too much, but I will.
yesterday just started a new batch - I am doing 2 liters for 2-3 days, removing the GBP and putting it in another 2 liters for 2-3 days and then combining both batches.... We'll see how that works!

Old 03-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #34
dinnerstick
Recipes 

I made my best batch ever, and largest at 4 L.
started out with demerara sugar 10% and a few spoons dark molasses, my usual amount of ginger and 1 lemon. OG 1.044. fermented 2 days and then removed the GBP. tasted it, it needed more kick. tripled the ginger and added the juice of 2 more lemons, and let it carry on for three or four more days without the GBP, the gravity kept dropping but now very slowly. at around 1.028 i bottled, some in plastic and some in glass. the glass ones that didn't fit in my lettuce drawer i pasteurized on the stove. haven't tried the cooked ones yet but the normal ones are amazing. the molasses is an absolute must for future batches. also it fermented much better (i think) without a lot of lemon, and adding ingredients after straining off the GBP worked fine. after this batch i have so much ginger beer in reserve and my GBP has grown very large, so i dried half of it for storage, by spreading it on some paper towels. this all seems to be going fine. the one thing i haven't managed is a high abv ginger beer since after i strain off the GBP the stuff starts to look like it's going to go moldy after a few days, since i am not very sterile with my ginger beers. not at all sterile, i should say. still considering making a potent batch with ale yeast but i haven't got around to that yet.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #35
dinnerstick
Recipes 

this fits into the "if anyone gives a crap" category, but here goes anyways, i didn't know what to do with my very active gbp when i went away for a few weeks, so i put it into some fresh dilute sugar water and in the fridge, changed the sugar water when i got back, and it was roaring almost immediately, first new batch was bubbling away within hours

Old 04-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #36
Rippt530
Recipes 

Good to see this thread alive, I will be getting some actual GBP instead of using yeast.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #37
dinnerstick
Recipes 

ice cubes + havana club 7 year dark rum + ginger beer + squeeze of lime

any questions?

Old 04-27-2011, 02:00 AM   #38
Cowbizzoy
Recipes 

i jusssssst got a plant.....this is way too cool......

Think mines still recovering from the journey over here....kinda sits at the bottom and doesn't do much else...except it makes a lotta bubbles....a lottta....

Too much work keeping this current...

There is stuff in the pipeline...

Old 04-27-2011, 06:47 AM   #39
dinnerstick
Recipes 

mine did that for a few days, it's funny stuff, picks up momentum over a few batches.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #40
Mizoobrewer
Recipes 

Just some info for anyone thinking about trying this. There is no federal or any other regulation on selling GBP and many sites individuals out there are less than honest about their GBP. Many sell plain yeast, water Kefir grains or in the case of retro-culture.com a hybrid of water kefir grains. since there is no regulation this is technically not false advertising. some sites i have found in my research to be selling the true ginger beer plant are Gingerbeerplant.net run by Jim MacDonald, he is an active and very helpful member of the yahoo GBP group. HappyHerbalist.com is family run and sells GBP that has been in their family for generations. Only site ive fould based in the US is Yemoos.com, their GBP seems to genuine. Hope this info helps since it seems some people are being mislead about what they are actually purchasing.

Quick Reply