Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Real Ginger Beer, and how much alcohol can the plant tolerate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #21
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Some earlier ones were using yeast though & not everyone ends up reading all of the thread (though I did). Enjoy reading the updates on your experiments dinnerstick, and those of the other GBP users on the forum.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #22
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

update: galangal was not a great idea. in the future i will save it for my curry pastes. the batch i have going smells like mustard! mmmmm! haha

Old 03-04-2011, 02:03 AM   #23
sisuuk
Recipes 

Well, we drank the ginger beer! I have to say that it came out speeeetacular! Every single person (except my wife) loved the serrano chili pepper beer the best!
Batch #1 (a slow fermenter) went the full 15 days and ended at 7% alcohol.
Batch #2 (fast fermenter) was pulled (drank!) 2 days early but had 8.4% alcohol. I have no doubt that I could have gotten the 8.7% that the recipe predicted.
Does anyone know how far you can push the ratio of GBP to water? My recipe calls for 45 ml of GBP for 1 liter of water..... can I use the same 45 ml GBP in 4 liters of water and just give it a day or two more? anyone with experience on this? Another recipe says one TBSP (apx. 15ml) works for 2 liters of water.
Last question.... a poster brought up the lineage of the GBP to be original.... anyone know what strain comes out of www.gingerbeerplant.net?
Thanks all! Can't wait to make my next batch!
dinnerstick - mustard huh? weird but I would drink it!

Old 03-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #24
dinnerstick
Recipes 

it started out as mustardy but matured into more of a burning tires on a hot dragstrip kind of aroma. it was bad. i wouldn't touch it but my kitchen sink loved it
i made a lemongrass/lime/lime leaves batch, and it's ok but just nowhere near as good as the straight stuff so i'm back to just normal ginger beer and chalking up my asian experiment as pretty much a failure. still trying to clean the galangal taste out of the GBP. i am also going to start making larger batches with the same amount of GBP, although my GBP is noticeably growing.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:12 PM   #25
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

sisuuk...the strain at gingerbeerplant.net is Saccharomyces florentinus and Brevibacterium vermiforme, you can always contact Jim and he can answer any questions you may have. I received my plant from him today (friends were supposed to send me one, but they knocked theirs over by accident and the dog got most of it). Per the recipe that Jim sends he recommends 1 tbsp GBP per liter of water.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 03-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #26
dinnerstick
Recipes 

are we talking volume of dry GBP or fully hydrated? mine looks like around 75-100 ml wet (loosely packed) and i use this for 1.5L batches. i bet it could do a much bigger batch so my next will be 4 L. when dry it was probably 20-25 ml. (1 tbsp = 15 ml)
if i am not mistaken all true GBP strains are S. florentinus and Lactobacillus hilgardii (new name for B. vermiforme, same bacterium)

Old 03-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #27
sisuuk
Recipes 

Hey Gang!
Thanks for the replies! I guess I wasn't specific enough.... I was wondering about the strains in terms of DSMZ Strain 2472....or others.... I have heard of one other strain floating about and was wondering what gingerbeerplant.net sends out (I did send an email to the site and have yet to hear a response.... guess he is drinking too much of the fruits of his labors!). More just from curiosity and cause I would like to name my little wee beasties!
I was wondering about wet weight.... I strain mine and then go from there so I have been using about 100g to 2 liters of water.... Like you dinnerstick, I am going to up the H2O and give it a bit more time.... see what happenes! Can't wait....! Next couple of days and I should start.... do you guys (actually you, not hearsay) store your GBP dried in the fridge when not brewing? So far, I have kept mine at room temp with lotsa food.... but it hasn't really been growing (about 5 weeks). Just curious.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:02 AM   #28
dinnerstick
Recipes 

since mine arrived a couple months ago they have been on the job full time. i have been wondering what to do with them when i go on vacation...
have a look at this site
http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html
Dom's famous kefir site, and GBP is basically kefir grains under another name, there is a ton of information there on use, storage, drying, activity, everything. also water kefir recipes (to him ginger beer is a ginger water kefir) some of them look interesting. i haven't read the whole site but he says his GBP (or SKG for sugar kefir grains) grow by 50% each brew. i certainly don't have such strong growth. in fact mine started growing at first but have slowed down considerably recently. i added in the little bit of reserve dry grains from my original order, and these ones are gangbusters. far more active than the previous ones, although they are still fermenting. so i must have done something mean to my guys, i accidentally got them kind of warm once, and of course i subjected them to some nasty galangal. but apparently they can be pretty finicky and increase or decrease in activity easily.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:08 AM   #29
dinnerstick
Recipes 

pasted from dom's site
http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

Regarding Growth-Rate of SKG SKG that I have cultured over the years, including many individuals who culture SKG, have observed a fluctuation regarding growth rate of SKG. I have observed growth increase to vary between 7% to 220% increase by weight at 48 hours. However, if the sugar solution with other added ingredients, and more importantly, with the addition of a very small amount of sodium bicarbonate and eggshell, if the solution ingredients are kept constant, including the amount SKG used and the fermentation time is kept to 2 days per each batch, then growth increase can be expected to remain reasonably constant between 90% to 120% per each batch of water kefir. On the other hand, milk kefir-grains increase at a reasonably constant rate when cultured in fresh milk. Many individuals including myself, have found a great potential for SKG to cease propagation, and remain non-propagable, when cultured in water with low mineral content. More so with activated charcoal filtered water. The outcome is mostly observed as a slow deterioration in growth over time, which at a point, becomes irreversible. At this point, SKG acquire a light brown film over the surface of each grain, and the grains lose the typical transparency of good growing [propagable] grains.

Although there are many factors to consider, the important one being the type of sugar and water used, duration of fermentation including sugar/water percentage. SKG do not appear to grow well, and in most cases growth ceases altogether over time, when cultured in a sugar solution prepared with purer forms of water, such as distilled, demineralised or activated carbon filtered water [Brita filtered water e.g.] etc. Leaving SKG in the same sugar-solution for longer than 3 days over many batches and in warmer conditions, has an adverse effect regarding growth-factor of SKG. Lack of essential nutrients and energy source due to over fermentation, is a cause for problems, if starvation happens over an excessive number of proceeding batches.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:06 AM   #30
dinnerstick
Recipes 

another update:
lemongrass, kaffir lime leaf, ginger, palm sugar, lime: this batch wasn't amazing at bottling but actually tastes pretty good after carbing a couple days. it is pretty dry at around 1.020; could be a bit sweeter as it is a little watery. more sugar and more lime and this would be a real winner. and it even has a hint of the galangal from previous batch carried over and it is slightly medicinal but pleasant. what i did: for 1.5 liters cook the palm sugar with the 2 sticks lemongrass (diced finely) and 2 lime leaves for a few minutes, let cool. added a 'normal' amount of juiced ginger and 1.5 juiced limes. water to 1.5L and added the GBP for 2 days.
on another note i have followed dom's advice (above) and given my GBP a little TLC: i ground a bit of egg shell, added a spoon of molasses and some raw sugar and some water, strained off GBP from latest batch (i am finally making a high alcohol batch) and added it. after just an hour it was foaming and churning, much more than when i make ginger beer! overnight it is going totally mad, bubbling, foaming, churning. i think it likes it

Quick Reply