Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Real Ginger Beer, and how much alcohol can the plant tolerate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 03:33 AM   #11
sisuuk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Greetings! Will post my recipes and results soon...

Just wanted to say hey to you two..... keep up the good work!
I have 2 batches going and have tons of notes.... I also am going for max alcohol.. (have some friends getting ready to sail away and I thought some GBP may go good on a boat!).

My two day old has 2.9 % right now and just moved it to secondary ferm. container.... shooting for 8%...
We'll see!
Love to keep up with you two tho.... maybe between all of us we can get 80 proof!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #12
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 22

hi i keep making 1 liter batches with the GBP, each time intending to try to push up the %, but i keep drinking it before it gets there! it's goo tasty that i can't help myself, i still haven't got much over 1.5%
my GBP has become more active, it now takes 3 days to ferment to 1.5% and 2 days to carb, so i am going to set it to work on a 5 liter batch, get myself some bottles in stock, and then experiment with percentages...

Old 02-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #13
Rippt530
Recipes 

got my second batch in:
(sorry for the odd measurements)

4 pounds of ginger (blended in water to make a slurry)
5.5 cups white sugar
3 lb of light brown sugar
100 cloves (whole)
1 tbsp cinnamon

brought up to boil
let steep
pitched Wyeast Califiornia Ale WSP001? from slurry
shook the crap out of it.
just hit fermentor this morning (let cool overnight, I know this is bad)
didn't get the hydro reading (broken)

this is a bit spicier smelling and more full tasting.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #14
sisuuk
Recipes 

Here are some details:

Batch 1 for 2 quarts- unrefined organic sugar
43 g peeled, sliced and mashed ginger
lemon juice, cream of tarter, peppercorns
and ginger beer plant

Batch 2 for 2 quarts - unrefined organic sugar
49 g peeled, sliced and mashed ginger
lemon juice, cream of tarter, peppercorns
25 g sliced and mashed serrano chilis

Batch 1 I started at 71 degrees and brought it up to 84 degrees over the next couple of days - SG was temp adjusted to 1.1132. This one has been slow to start bubbling but maybe it’s because I thought the GBP was ready after it’s long trip and it still had jet lag. A little light on flavor and too sweet but good. SG now is 1.084 and 3.8 % on day 6.

Batch 2 I immediately brought the temp up to 79 degrees and put on warming mat. This one started to bubble fast and furious! SG was temp adjusted to 1.1205. As of day 6 it is at 4.2 % alcohol with a slightly green flavor of serrano, sweet and good! This second batch, although started 2 days after batch 1, has surpassed it in alcohol (4.2 vs. 3.8)

On both, the GBP was pulled after 2-3 days so that it wouldn’t be killed by increasing alcohol.

That’s it so far!

Old 02-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #15
dinnerstick
Recipes 

here is my latest: 1.5 liter batch, 10% sugar (=around 1.040); half white sugar and half dark brown. 1.5 limes and 2 thumb sized ginger chunks, juiced. its bubbling away but oddly the gravity hasn't gone down that much in 2 days. it's really delicious now, the murky bitterness from the brown sugar and lime is very different from the clean sourness of lemon and ginger alone. (speaking of murky this stuff looks like puddle water!) could use a bit more ginger since the other flavors in here are so strong. want to get it down to around 1.028ish, i think that's where i like the final sugar level.
sisuuk: let me know how the fermentation carries on after you remove the plant, i am curious. and the serrano sounds great. when you open a carbonated bottle and sniff it, the little aerosol droplets of spice are going to fly up your nose and you are going to sneeze. guaranteed. what is the cream of tartar for? do the peppercorns work? it gives me the idea of fresh green peppercorns from the thai deli.
and that just gave me the idea of galangal, which of course is the cousin of ginger but a bit more savory, like turmeric a little,... i'm going to try this: thai galangal beer; galangal, ginger, green peppercorns, lime, red chilis, palm sugar!

Old 02-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #16
dinnerstick
Recipes 

glass ,,, ice cubes ,,, dark rum (havana club 7 in this case) ,,, healthy squeeze of lime ,,, homemade ginger beer . not a half bad dark and stormy

Old 02-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #17
sisuuk
Recipes 

Hey dinnerstick... I like your thoughts on experimenting! So does my lady cause she's into Thai food....
I removed the GBP on day 2 and it made no difference in the fermentation.... My recipe said to do that and that saves your GBP.... so far, they are right!. Their recipe aims for 8.7% alcohol at the end. - I am giving this a shot and so far, I am on (or close) to the mark with batch 2 and will fall a bit low on batch 1. Just tested % and batch 1 is at 5.3% with 6 'official' days to go and batch 2 is at 6.1 % with 8 days to go. Peppercorns don't really seem to have much (any) influence on taste/smell.... but who knows? I did it to both! Supposedly the cream of tarter buffers the PH and keeps it from going too crazy in either direction. I love the serranos in there! My lady says that she prefers batch 1 but that batch 2 (with the serranos) seems 'fuller and more flavorful'. She just likes the sweetness of the other! I agree that experimentation with sugar is in order.... I will probably mix 50/50 like you with palm or muscovado (?) sugar just for kicks...
Today I start my plum wine and a grand experiment.... tomato wine!
My home-made kahula looks good too! Next week, rice wine (for the lady!).

Old 02-25-2011, 11:09 PM   #18
dinnerstick
Recipes 

my batch with lime and brown sugar was excellent. unexpectedly after a day in the fridge after it was carbed up the brown sugar darkness settled out leaving it clear! odd. i mixed it all back in before drinking; i want all the bits in my glass. delicious; slightly bitter, fresh, a bit sweet, ginger on the back of the throat. the lacto sourness is wonderful.
today i made a thai flavors batch (1.5 L); juiced galangal (1 thumb), ginger (2 thumbs), lime (1.5), lemongrass (1 shoot, yup, it juiced), 1 small thai red chili. forgot the green peppercorns- next time. cooked palm sugar (150g) with 2 kaffir lime leaves and 1 lemongrass shoot. as this was cooling i tasted the fresh juice. fresh galangal didn't quite live up to my fantasy billing; it is incredibly medicinal. so i mixed the juice in with the still hot sugar to temper it a bit. added back in a little more fresh lime and ginger. tastes ok, slightly astringent/medicinal but it has the sweet and sour and the ginger/chili kick up front and some slightly confused spice in the background. i'll see where it goes as it ferments. probably not there yet but for a first try it's not too bad

Old 02-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #19
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Ginger Beer Plant (FYI)

Have read a couple of these threads and see that some are using yeast with the GBP?? An honest to goodness GBP does not require yeast to work, and if you have a recipe that requires yeast then you don't have a real GBP.

I have friends who use the recipe from http://www.happyherbalist.com/gingerbeerplant.aspx, and their plant was handed down from their family in England and has been confirmed to be from the DSMZ Strain 2472, a true GBP. Or check www.gingerbeerplant.net or www.yemoos.com under their cultures/supplies section.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 02-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #20
dinnerstick
Recipes 

hi saramc, did you read the thread? the discussion has been (largely) about using gbp, not yeast

Quick Reply