New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Question re: Pressure & Lines for Keg Serving for Soda??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 03:42 AM   #1
duganderson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Question re: Pressure & Lines for Keg Serving for Soda??

I had a question.....

From my understanding, folks serve beer from a keg at 10 PSI with short lines (4 ft).

Why do folks use more pressure (20-30 PSI) for serving soda? I know that soda is carbonated at higher pressure, but why does this impact serving pressure?

Can you serve Soda at 10-15 PSI like beer? If so, what length lines do you need?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
EFaden
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duganderson
I had a question.....

From my understanding, folks serve beer from a keg at 10 PSI with short lines (4 ft).

Why do folks use more pressure (20-30 PSI) for serving soda? I know that soda is carbonated at higher pressure, but why does this impact serving pressure?

Can you serve Soda at 10-15 PSI like beer? If so, what length lines do you need?

Thanks
You could serve at lower pressure, but your soda would eventually reach a new equilibrium pressure(your serving pressure). You pretty much need to serve at carb pressure unless you drink it fairly quickly.

-Eric

Old 11-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
duganderson
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFaden View Post
You could serve at lower pressure, but your soda would eventually reach a new equilibrium pressure(your serving pressure). You pretty much need to serve at carb pressure unless you drink it fairly quickly.
How long would it take approximately for the pressure to lower a lot in the keg? Would it be more like an hour or a day or more?

Since this occurs, if you're just pouring one or two servings a day, do you just leave the pressure set to 30 PSI and just use really long line? How long is necessary.

What if your bringing it to a party and your going to drink it over the course of several hours?

Old 11-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3858 Times on 2819 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by duganderson View Post
How long would it take approximately for the pressure to lower a lot in the keg? Would it be more like an hour or a day or more?

Since this occurs, if you're just pouring one or two servings a day, do you just leave the pressure set to 30 PSI and just use really long line? How long is necessary.

What if your bringing it to a party and your going to drink it over the course of several hours?
I use 25' of 3/16" line, and it just curls up on top of the keg and I zip tie it to the handles of the keg.

You can turn it down to serve, but it might get pretty foamy.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #5
duganderson
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yooper.....thanks for the reply. Is that 25 ft of the thick tubing or normal thickness?

Old 11-28-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
EFaden
Recipes 

As an aside I use 1/8 and 3/16 tubing for my soda... depending. I use the 1/8 for my soda so I don't need 30 feet. It took a while to get the right length though.

-Eric

Old 11-29-2011, 04:20 AM   #7
xokeman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

This is helpful for me too. I use 25ft of 1/4 line and its not great @ 30 psi.. The soda rushes out of the keg...

Old 11-29-2011, 04:45 AM   #8
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm using 30 feet of 3/16 line at 30 psi and 39 degrees for soda and it's working fine for me. The only issue I have is that if I don't draw at least one soda a day, the soda that's in the line, about 5.5 ounces or 163 ml, goes flat. It's not entirely flat, but close to it. I have no idea why that happens, but it does. That's a lot of flat soda on the first pour after a hiatus.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 11-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
EFaden
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtzk
I'm using 30 feet of 3/16 line at 30 psi and 39 degrees for soda and it's working fine for me. The only issue I have is that if I don't draw at least one soda a day, the soda that's in the line, about 5.5 ounces or 163 ml, goes flat. It's not entirely flat, but close to it. I have no idea why that happens, but it does. That's a lot of flat soda on the first pour after a hiatus.
I run about 5 feet of braid reinforced 1/8 inch at 35 psi and it comes out great. Similar setup on my carbonator, just a longer line (about 10 feet). You have to dial it in. The 1/8 adds a lot of resistance so if you have to much it will gas out in the line.

As for the 30 feet of quarter... That's not enough. Most people use 30 of 3/16.

See the chart http://www.sitter.us/beer/keg/troubleshooting/balance.html

-Eric

billtzk Likes This 
Old 11-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
xokeman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

so using the equation on the sitter website and given

Height 3ft
Keg diptube 3 ft and .7 resistance for 1/4
Regulator Pressure of 30psi
and given that I'd like to stay with 1/4 line which has a resistance of .7 then I need about 37.7ft of line. wouldn't this cause some gassing out?

Quick Reply