Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > question about my root beer extract and what to add

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
DroolingNeoBrewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I recommend Lalvin EC-1118 wine yeast for all soda making it will not impart any yeasty flavours. Its also $1 or less a package normally. You could also try Lallemand/Danstar CBC-1 its not supposed to impart any flavours either (its for pitching into filtered beer for cask and bottle conditioning).

If you go the keg root you will need dedicated o-rings, liquid side disconnect, beer line, and taps for your root beer. I got the pepsi smell out of my ball locks with a 2 hour oxy soak, so root beer will likely come out of the keg its self in 24hr or less. It will never come out of plastic.

Next: Irish Red Ale, Mild, BC Pale, Scotch Ale, Helles, Pils
Planning: Bombardier clone (The real ale cask version, not that sh!te in the bottles)
P1: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout P2: Pear Wine P3: Air P4: Oxyclean
Keg 1: Stout Stout Keg 2: Dead Intruder Mailbock
Bottled: Lots

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 05:33 AM   #12
THRobinson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Actually, I did use Lalvin EC-1118. Bought it from the local wine making supply shop the day I made it. They had it in the fridge so, assuming was still good.

Half the batch were re-used bottles and half were new, all new caps, everything sterilized thoroughly as well so... not sure why such a powerful yeasty taste/smell. Maybe if infected from the used bottles in some way, but, less likely from the new bottles. Hmm... :S

Old 11-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #13
DroolingNeoBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Have you tried Royal Rootbeer Extract? Its the best root beer I have ever had, any flavours from the yeast just add to the overall product and aren't pronounced. I do age it for a couple weeks at 55 before putting it in the fridge for a few days before drinking. So it might be yeasty inside those 3 weeks after carbing.

Did you rehydrate the yeast? I don't do this for beer, but I think the large amount of pure sucrose in rootbeer shocks the yeast to much when pitched dry.

I just follow the recipe on the bottle.

1 bottle extract
2 kg white sugar
17 liters of water
1 pack of EC-1118

dissolve sugar in 2 liters of boiling water, add 15 liters of room temp water (going for about 75-80F temp when pitching yeast, i just use tap water its fine here for soda). mix in bottle of extract. rehydrate yeast per package directions and mix in (i think its 1 cup of 95-100F boiled water). bottle in plastic beer bottles (I reuse commercial pop bottles that I oxy clean then starsan). store in dark place at 72F until bottles harden, then cellar for 2-3 weeks. chill well before serving.

I mix everything in a 5 gallon polypin that I dedicated to rootbeer. add each ingredient 1 at a time and close it up and shake to mix (ok when its full i just kinda roll it around a bit). this minimizes contact with possible contaminants and sticky rootbeer scented mess. when its all mixed I bottle using the attached spigot.

Next: Irish Red Ale, Mild, BC Pale, Scotch Ale, Helles, Pils
Planning: Bombardier clone (The real ale cask version, not that sh!te in the bottles)
P1: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout P2: Pear Wine P3: Air P4: Oxyclean
Keg 1: Stout Stout Keg 2: Dead Intruder Mailbock
Bottled: Lots

Quick Reply