Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Pregnancy & Homemade Soda

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
The_Dog_42
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Pregnancy & Homemade Soda

So is homemade soda (like rootbeer, ginger ale, etc.) bad for expecting mothers?

I have a co-worker who has informed me that pregnant women should not have anything that is not pasteurized. I have a party coming up and I invited a few couples who are expecting their first child, so I wanted to make some homemade soda for them, while their husbands drink homebrew. I was planning on using a natural carbonation method because I don't want to buy another CO2 tank and regulator to force carb right now. Are there any issues with doing this?

My 10 yr old chocolate lab Guinness :D thinks her name is goddammit dog or fu@%in' puppy...I think if she were registerable :drunk: her full name would Goddammit Guinness Stop It...Go Away!!! And we Love her dearly :)
My Keg-O-Vision (Kegerator) Build

My Butcherblock-esque Fermentation Chamber

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's all about risk mitigation when it comes to pregnancy. Can you eat that cold-cut turkey? Of course, just risk the rare listeria poisoning.

You'll have to ask the preggers to see how much risk they are mitigating during their terms.

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 10-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
LVBen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 52

No, I don't think caffeine free soda is a problem. I've heard lots of people saying that drinking carbonated beverages is bad, because it strips calcium in your bones, but most of that has been debunked recently.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
WestCoastHopper
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhamilton View Post
It's all about risk mitigation when it comes to pregnancy. Can you eat that cold-cut turkey? Of course, just risk the rare listeria poisoning.

You'll have to ask the preggers to see how much risk they are mitigating during their terms.
+1 to risk mitigation. The problem is that people have no idea what the real risks are. The fact is that the risk they take in driving to your house probably far outweighs the risk of drinking your soda (or eating the cold-cut).

But it's an individual decision all mothers need to make for themselves. Only they know what level (and type) of risk they are comfortable with. My wife (preggers) would absolutely drink unpasturzied juice (or fresh fruit), but has limited the amount of time she spends driving (legitimate riskfactor for harm to baby).

Put out the soda, tell them how you made it, let them decide.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4365 Times on 3173 Posts
Likes Given: 849

Don't forget that homemade soda has a very slight alcohol content due to using yeast to carbonate it. For me, it wasn't a problem and I let my kids drink it without blinking an eye. Other parents and expectant mothers might freak out. It's all about letting people make choices for themselves.

My homemade ginger ale has NO high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors, colors, caffeine, or any other crap. Just sugar, water, ginger, and a squeeze of lemon. I think it's better than any store bought manufactured nonsense but others may not agree because if it's bottle carbed it will have about .25%- .5% ABV.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
The_Dog_42

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the input all. I will definitely let everyone know how it was made and then let them decide...now to find some empty bottle to put it in.

My 10 yr old chocolate lab Guinness :D thinks her name is goddammit dog or fu@%in' puppy...I think if she were registerable :drunk: her full name would Goddammit Guinness Stop It...Go Away!!! And we Love her dearly :)
My Keg-O-Vision (Kegerator) Build

My Butcherblock-esque Fermentation Chamber

Old 11-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #7
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
My homemade ginger ale has NO high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors, colors, caffeine, or any other crap. Just sugar, water, ginger, and a squeeze of lemon.
Yooper, where is that recipe?

Old 11-01-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
simtel20

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber

Yooper, where is that recipe?
I have googled various recipes in the past. I suggest a recipe that includes lemon and orange for a rich flavor.

Quick Reply