Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Post/Get Soda Recipes Here

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 12:52 AM   #11
pizzaman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have to agree with you LCE; while I think the batch I made was good, it definitely needs a lot of work before I'll be making any mass quantities...anyone have any suggestions for making the recipe better?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #12
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think I actually have ingredients on hand to make it, so maybe I'll give it a whirl this afternoon and see what I think.

Just glancing at the recipe, 1 tablespoon seems like a lot of vanilla, and I'll probably drop the cinnamon entirely, going more for straight chocolate.

In fact, I think what I'll do is just go with cocoa powder and sugar and see what comes out, for simplicity's sake.

Edit: Okay, threw one together.

I used 2L water, 3/4 cup cocoa powder, about a cup and a quarter of white sugar, a teaspoon of vanilla extract, a 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a 1/4 teaspoon of bread yeast. I debated adding some lemon juice for acidity, but I'll see how this works first.

Will update in a day or so when it carbs up.

Rather than just mix the cocoa powder, sugar, and water in the 2L bottle, I put it on the stove to make sure the cocoa powder dissolved well into the water.

Last edited by The Blow Leprechaun; 03-11-2009 at 08:01 PM.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #13
pizzaman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have noticed now a week or so later that this soda needs to be shaken or stirred before serving, the cocoa seems to separate out to the bottom otherwise. Maybe cooking would be a good idea.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:26 AM   #14
LCE
Recipes 

When I did up the recipe I put it all on the stove and brought it to a low simmer to make sure everything was dissolved real good.
There is still lots of sediment as the Cocoa still separates.

If I were to make this one again I would definitely leave out the cinnamon as it is very overpowering in my opinion. As for the vanilla Id probably add more...maybe?

I have 1 liter left that I cant bring myself to pour out but I also cant bring myself to drink it either

Old 03-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #15
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well I guess I'll sample my version of it now...

I think it's alright. If anything, I'd increase the amount of sugar somewhat to maybe 1.5 cups and maybe a smidge more vanilla but not much - I don't want to actually taste vanilla, just use it to round out the chocolate.

The biggest issue I have is the cocoa powder gives it a bit of a bitter aftertaste, but I'm not sure how to correct that in a soda... and that's not that much of an issue for me, as I prefer dark chocolate (as dark as I can get it!).

I think you're trying to do too much with it... a tablespoon is a lot of vanilla extract for 2 liters of soda... you'd only use around a teaspoon for chocolate cake or brownies, it's just a supplement to the chocolate, not a partner. You don't need the molasses of the brown sugar competing with the chocolate either - let it shine!

Old 03-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #16
EoinMag
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I'd suggest maybe scraping a bean of vanilla and throwing a small scraping in, rather than using any type of extract or liquid, just a thought, as I won't be trying chocolate soda myself.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #17
LCE
Recipes 

I made up a batch using The Blow Leprechaun's recipe and just tasted it...
It is much better but a bit to rich for my liking so I am going to make another batch but cut down on the Cocoa and sugar.
I'll let you all know when it carbs up how it tastes.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:38 AM   #18
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCE View Post
I made up a batch using The Blow Leprechaun's recipe and just tasted it...
It is much better but a bit to rich for my liking so I am going to make another batch but cut down on the Cocoa and sugar.
I'll let you all know when it carbs up how it tastes.
I guess I should have mentioned that I like my chocolate as chocolate-y as possible I tend to buy the 90% cocoa dark chocolate.

Also, I meant to use 1/2 cup of cocoa and had a brain fart and used 3/4 cup.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:30 AM   #19
LCE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blow Leprechaun View Post
I guess I should have mentioned that I like my chocolate as chocolate-y as possible I tend to buy the 90% cocoa dark chocolate.

Also, I meant to use 1/2 cup of cocoa and had a brain fart and used 3/4 cup.
I used a 1/2 cup Cocoa and 1 cup sugar everything else I left the same.

I just tried it and it is much better tasting.
Unlike you though I would prefer a little less chocolate/sweet taste so I am thinking of lowering the cocoa a bit more to maybe 1/4 cup and also lowering the sugar as well. Just experimenting with the recipe until I find a suitable taste that I like.
I wouldn't make this soda very often or in large batches and I am pretty sure by the time I get the recipe to where I would like it I wont be making it for awhile as it is just about played out as it is now

Old 04-19-2009, 04:26 AM   #20
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Thanks for all the recipes so far everyone!!! I've been brewing beer for a little while. I recently put up a batch of hard cider and am waiting to get started on a batch of mead. Today I decided to go to my local LHBS, Hoptech, and get a few bottles of root beer extract. My oldest boy really likes watching me brew and also likes root beer, so do I for that matter. So, I thought I'd get something we can both make and drink together. Now, I'm already getting excited about trying a few of the other extracts they had and even making up a few more complex recipes. With that and this thread in mind, are there any good books out there on soda making??

Quick Reply