Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Is it possible to make my own Malta?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2011, 07:20 AM   #1
Luposian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is it possible to make my own Malta?

A couple months ago, I tried a beverage called "Malta Hatuey" at a $0.99 store and fell in love with it! It's "a non-alcoholic cereal beverage", according to the label, and the taste reminds me of Post Grape-Nuts, interestingly enough.

I've tried Malta Hatuey, Malta Regal, and Malta India (and, in that order, they are also ranked best to worst, in my taste opinion). I want to try Malta Goya, but Target never seems to stock it, even though there is a shelf spot for it.

In my quest to find better varieties, I thought about trying to make my own and see if I can make a better tasting Malta than those of which I've tried so far.

Any recipes or ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

There's two threads in the similar thread's box below.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yup, can try using the search function for malta. However, I've looked up what malta is before (someone was drinking it around my area) and I found I would be allergic because it's pretty much what beer is before you ferment it.

This means, of your options, you can make it using malt extracts and malt syrup solids. Or you can make it from malted grain (barley&wheat). Along with any desired extra flavorings including varying the malts (roast level).

This is all I can help with, since I'm allergic and I use sorghum as my beer base, and it does not seem to make an unfermented carbonated drink that I like. I just use cane/beet sugar and flavorings.

After a quick search, there wasn't really too much. I'd go with Revvy's post here from '08 http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/non-...57/index2.html One other post had a link to someone's website about malta but the page could no longer be found (even though that website's search could find the blog post) It was linked on January first '11 by none other than Revvy.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Quick Reply