Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Phosphoric Acid

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
mappler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Phosphoric Acid

A friend of mine was talking to me about drinking "Lime Phosphates" as a kid in a soda shop. I googled this, and it seems that soda jerks would put a drop of phosphoric acid in the soda for bite. I'm curious to try this with my soda setup. Does anyone know the concentration used for a glass of soda? I've seen phosphoric acid in 10% concentrations and in 85% concentrations.

Thanks,
Matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 02:43 AM   #2
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There are two different chemicals. There is Phosphoric acid, which can be used in sodas, mostly Colas. Open Cola has an amount of phosphoric acid added to it for example. There is also Acid phosphate, which is created from a reaction of phosphoric acid and a calcium, magnesium or potassium salt to reduce the acidity. What you get is just pure sourness. The lime phosphate was most likely created using acid phosphate.

Artofdrink, linked in the acid phosphate link, sells acid phosphate, and also has a few soda recipes such as a chocolate phosphate and cherry phosphate. I was drawn to the website from an article in imbibe magazine last year.

For a lime phosphate... I'd probably wind up using citric acid for the sourness.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
mappler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you SO much for the link. I will be spending some time reading it. This is exactly the type of resource I have been looking for!

Quick Reply