Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Options for cooling keg or serving cold from keg?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2011, 12:56 AM   #1
duganderson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Options for cooling keg or serving cold from keg?

I've considered getting a keg set-up for making soda. I don't really want to use a standard size refrigerator to keep the keg cool.

What are options to cool the keg or serve the contents cold? I'm looking for a set up that is easy to use, inexpensive and does not take up a lot of space.

Also, how much hassle and time does it take to clean and sanitize the keg after use?

Thanks, Doug

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 01:05 AM   #2
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

Cleaning and sanitizing is pretty quick and easy. See http://www.bodensatz.com/staticpages...oda-Kegs-Maint as well as the sticky threads in the bottling/kegging forum.
Takes about an hour, most of it just wait time. Just don't let things gunk up or grow after the keg is finished with the last serving and you should be fine.

As for cooling. I'm looking at options there too. It seems that the method I'm looking to use is to use a fair sized mini fridge though some people have talked about certain types of heat exchangers to cool the liquid as it goes through the tubes, but I don't remember how much that costs.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:07 AM   #3
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

Oh, and as for sanitizer, I hear starsan works great and since it lasts, just have extra kegs on hand so you can transfer the sanitizer from one keg to the other, and just let the sanitizer sit in the cleaned second keg for a while.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
Fallon
Recipes 

A cold plate stuck in cold water/ice/fridge.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130435447404

You can find used ones with only 1 or 2 lines for under a hundred bucks relatively easily if you keep your eyes peeled.

Quick Reply