Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Old family root beer recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 01:57 AM   #1
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 606 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default Old family root beer recipe

This recipe has been in the family for over 50 years. Wine making is an old family tradition, but I had no idea my Great Grandparents were into homemade soda until my Dad talked about it during a recent visit. He said he'd get the recipe from my Grandmother. I was excited to see the recipe, since he was sure it was "from scratch," and he remembered it being very tasty. I'm a little disappointed, but I thought I'd share, anyway:

Dad also remembered an old bench capper they used to bottle the stuff. He mentioned that it might still be around someplace. At this point, I'm more excited about a big old cast iron capper than the extract recipe above.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2008, 02:03 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4366 Times on 3174 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Yuri, that's awesome! I can remember secret family recipes from when I was a kid, too, and I later found out that my mom's "secret BBQ sauce" was bought from the Dairy Queen!

I love that your recipe mentions that the directions are on the box. That's classic!

Old 09-06-2008, 02:59 AM   #3
sterling214
Recipes 

Similar thing happened to me, we have been trying to get my wifes grandfathers root beer recipe for months, and finally decided to make up some from a couple of different recipes I found on line. At the family outing I pored a glass for her grandpa and asked him what I was missing, he asked me what extract I used. I found out he used to use hires also. Must be good stuff.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:19 AM   #4
karateexplosion
Recipes 

This is an old thread, but if you guys are interested in trying root beer recipes from scratch, there are a few options. Stephen Cresswell has a book on making root beer and other drinks, which is a great resource but it's mostly a really old style of making root beer, the way your grandparents would've tasted it but pretty different than tasting like A&W or Dad's.

There are a few sites online that have some modern root beer recipes, like http://www.rootbeerbrewer.com. I've gotten varied results, and am still trying to perfect my recipes. Nothing I find seems to be quite right though.

Quick Reply