Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > no room for eight 2-liter bottles in fridge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 05:09 AM   #21
earlytimes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Update - I actually didn't have a problem at all. Well, I had a different problem. I added a little less than 1/8 tsp. to each 2-liter bottle. after a week, I had very little to no carbonation. So I added about another 1/8 tsp. and then the bottles firmed up nicely. And then the yeast pooped out on me again. fortunately, they quit with just the right amount of carbonation this time! So you can get lucky by adding just the right amount of yeast and then no need to refridgerate!

I wouldn't actually recommend this though. I could probably do this 100 more times and I'd probably end up with flat or exploded bottles each time. It was easy enough to mix up just a few at a time with a funnel, so that's what I'll be doing in the future instead of making all 8 2-liters at once.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2008, 06:27 PM   #22
Frost
Recipes 

When I refrigerate the bottles after carbonation has occurred that makes the yeast go dormant. What if I need to transport them or free up some space in my fridge? When they return to room temperature the yeast should become active again, right?

Old 08-18-2008, 08:57 PM   #23
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
When I refrigerate the bottles after carbonation has occurred that makes the yeast go dormant. What if I need to transport them or free up some space in my fridge? When they return to room temperature the yeast should become active again, right?
Yes, and they may not go totally dormant in the fridge. My soda (made with bread yeast) kept working extremely slowly in the fridge.

Quick Reply