Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > no room for eight 2-liter bottles in fridge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #11
earlytimes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok. I didn't know what campden or sorbate did, but I think I get it now. You guys saved me from doing something stupid once again!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2008, 01:45 AM   #12
newell456
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlytimes View Post
I suppose this would be the way to go for small batches. Maybe I'll just do that. I was envisioning getting out my bottling bucket and siphon hose and bottling wand and having to sanitize all that and clean up all that... blah. I like your way much better.
There is no need for all that. Soda making is a different animal than beer making, so by thinking of this in terms of home brewing, you're actually making this harder. The only equipment you need, besides measuring cups or spoons for yeast or sugar is a funnel and a 2 liter bottle. Most soda extract bottles will give you optional intructions for only 2 liters, but if not, you can just do the math with a metric to english volume conversion calculator online. Anyway, once you know how much your making, add all the ingredients to the 2 liter bottle or bottles via the funnel, but leave out some of the water so you can shake the bottle to mix it, then top it off with water leaving a little space for o2. You should be able to do 2-4 two liters and clean up in less than 20 minutes. It's best to fill them in the sink.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:42 PM   #13
GarciasHomeBrew

Recipes 

would this work add just enuf sugar sugar to card the 2 liter bottle and sweeten the rest with splenda? so you don't need to refrigerate.

Primary: empty
Secondary:888 RIS
Bottled: NOOOOoooo i'm all out!! I need to make more!!

Old 07-21-2008, 06:09 PM   #14
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarciasHomeBrew View Post
would this work add just enuf sugar sugar to card the 2 liter bottle and sweeten the rest with splenda? so you don't need to refrigerate.
That would be alot of splenda, have you ever had a soda or baked good that is entirely sweetended with splenda, I suggest against it.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 07-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 831

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarciasHomeBrew View Post
It should work, and make a "diet" soda. But like Freezeblade said, the taste might not be great.

You could try it- even just a very small batch (like one 20 ounce bottle), just to see what would happen. I'm not sure how much sugar is enough, though, without being too much. You want enough to carb, but not enough to explode. And sodas are carbed much more then beer, so a beer carbonation tool might not be very helpful. If you could figure out the carbonation volume you want, though, you might be able to calculate it.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #16
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
If you could figure out the carbonation volume you want, though, you might be able to calculate it.
Well, you could figure out what PSI keggers use and convert that to volumes of CO2, then a priming calculator will do exactly what you want.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:06 PM   #17
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 831

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blow Leprechaun View Post
Well, you could figure out what PSI keggers use and convert that to volumes of CO2, then a priming calculator will do exactly what you want.
My keg for soda is set at 30 psi. Would that help?

Old 07-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #18
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

According to the Tastybrew kegging calculator, 40 degrees at 30 PSI will get you 4.2 volumes of CO2 in solution.

To prime to 4.2 volumes of CO2 at room temperature, you would want 7 ounces of table sugar for 4 gallons.

I can't guarantee that things won't explode if you try this, but if I was going to try and only add enough sugar to prime and nothing more, I'd probably start low, maybe experiment with small batches, and almost certainly keep the bottles inside some sort of solid container while they attempted to carbonate in case the bottles blew up.

I'm nearly certain that your average beer bottle can withstand that final pressure, but I don't know if fermentation will throw off anything extra or what.

But if it works, that could be awesome.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #19
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Even doing a diet soda and calculating the priming sugar I'd still use the 2L soda bottles, or the smaller 20 oz ones.

Better yet... start kegging then use the BMBF to get bottles of carbonated soda with no sediment

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 07-28-2008, 10:32 PM   #20
wilbanba
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hi
make a smaller batch
clean up is easy
if you are nervous about explosions use PET bottles (actually use these anyway)
if you are more nervous use a yeast strain with a low alcohol tolerance - it will actually die
if you are extra nervous force carbonate with CO2
enjoy!

Last edited by wilbanba; 07-28-2008 at 11:46 PM.

Quick Reply