Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Nitrogen Root Beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
daft
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

This link suggests that water can dissolve about 10 times as much CO2 than N2 at a given temperature http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ga...er-d_1148.html

Note the extreme improvement to both cases as the water temp approaches freezing... this suggests you might get the incredible mouth feel of nitro bubbles if you inject N gas to near freezing water, then open to drink somewhat warm. Some rootbeers appear to have tiny longlasting nitro-like bubbles, like a+w.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You're doing some great research, but you're forgetting one important thing. When CO2 dissolves into water, it creates carbonic acid, which is the reason for the tingling mouthfeel and the bite rather than just feeling bubbles in water.

Nitrogen dissolved in water will not combine with the water and as such doesn't have much staying power once the temperature begins to climb.

You'd probably have the same result if you put a thickener in for head retention and then just shook the dickens out of it to get a nice foam on top before you drank it. Probably the same thing since the atmosphere is mostly nitrogen anyway.

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Old 02-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #13
daft
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

MrFood... nitrogenization is a tasty, wonderful, proven process enjoyed by millions! Do you not know about UK beers that use it? I'm not saying that it can be done by amateurs, but that's kind of my question due to the disturbing possibility that I can't refill my sodastream co2 cartridges within 2000 miles and may have to up my equipment anyway. But I take it from the pushback that this isn't easily accomplished.

I was reminded of those nitro beers by http://www.learnoutloud.com/Audio-Bo...ters-Art/34208 lecture series which explains the process and why nitro is used: The Brewmasters Art, which you can hear a long excerpt on that page. I believe it also explains how the bubble sensation comes from tickling pain sensors (like peppers do) rather than from acid chemistry. I have a web source on that somewhere too. Acid can be added seperately.

Since I have tasted and enjoyed nitro drinks, I believe the sources I posted that explain water holds n2 in solution exactly like co2, just less of it. But when it warms up, it will release them in a long lasting foam due to the effects they explain (also why some n2 bubbles go down rather than up). Sure, in cans they require a widget device to aid bubble nucleation, but not in bottles or glasses.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #14
daft
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Ok, this writeup explains how drinks are nitrogenized, but its too much trouble and expense for me http://byo.com/component/k2/item/149...itrogen-effect

Quick Reply