New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Nitro Soda Making

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
zzeee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Nitro Soda Making

hello,

i'm a noob attempting to make my own energy drinks. i will be using direct injection of carbonation. i really want to try and nitrogenate these drinks like a stout or a porter. either with beer gas or straight no2. i understand there may be some legal hoops i have to jump through to acquire food grade no2. i will figure that out.

anyone have experience with this? i will be making a thick chocolate soda for example and want that foamy creamy head. i have a dual gauge regulator but it's for co2. i think i'll need a higher pressure gauge for no2 but i can't find the link i saw them first. and i have tubes and carbonators

will my plastic bottles explode from the no2? will i be able to keep any of the no2 in there when i try and put on a regular cap?

thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
zzeee
Recipes 

hello admins. i accidentally didn't name this thread. can it be changed to "nitro soda making"?

thanks

Old 04-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzeee
hello admins. i accidentally didn't name this thread. can it be changed to "nitro soda making"?

thanks
PM TxBrew

Old 04-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
zzeee
Recipes 

just realized it's n2, not n20. well, i might have to try both.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
daft
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Nitro is wildly infeasible to inject (and stay) into water solution at home... you can scroll down a few pages for a thread on this where I also was looking for this. Besides all the negative feedback there, I finally posted some web sites that talked me out of it. They explain how it is done commercially with either super expensive equipment or with tricks that make a small amount of n2 seem greater.

What you may think it does, it doesn't really do. There are some tricks that happen only if there is also co2 in solution as well as the tiny bits of n2 that is possible to dissolve. You can't really significantly put n2 in water unless you use great cold and pressure. n2 can't easily liquify into a pressure bottle like co2 so is impractical to store large amounts at high pressure. You don't at all need it for chocolate foam, I have recently posted recipe for mocha soda that has a super thick foam thru the use of a bit of corn syrup.

Quick Reply