The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Newbie soda/kegging questions - making soda at a restaurant

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #21
AfternoonReview
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

So I was able to fill some Pellegrino bottles the other day @ 30psi w/ my 5ft line and picnic tap. The water came out of the tap pretty fast, but it wasn't uncontrollable. I was even able to fill some beer mugs with water without spilling. So now here's my new question:

Is there any benefit to having a longer line other than a slower, more gentle pour? If not, then I think I can get away with just this 5ft line.

Am I perhaps losing some carbonation because of the vigor of the pour? (since the pour is very fast, it sloshes up a lot, so I figure that's letting c02 escape, right? or not?) Will a longer line keep the final product more fizzy?

Thanks again everyone!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #22
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonReview View Post
So I was able to fill some Pellegrino bottles the other day @ 30psi w/ my 5ft line and picnic tap. The water came out of the tap pretty fast, but it wasn't incontrollable. I was even able to fill some beer mugs with water without spilling. So now here's my new question:

Is there any benefit to having a longer line other than a slower, more gentle pour? If not, then I think I can get away with just this 5ft line.

Am I perhaps losing some carbonation because of the vigor of the pour? (since the pour is very fast, it sloshes up a lot, so I figure that's letting c02 escape, right? or not?) Will a longer line keep the final product more fizzy?

Thanks again everyone!
The main reason to have the longer line is to avoid foaming, and letting the co2 out, and having flat soda in the end.

You could try it, and open a soda in two weeks, to see if it held carbonation.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:46 AM   #23
Jaybrinks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Ideally you would use a compensating valve like this. You can pressure your keg to 40psi, and this will dial down the pressure at the valve...giving you a nicely carbonated drink.... One way to avoid flat pop...is having it very cold....as it enters the glass. Less than 40 degrees is ideal. Utilizing a cold plate in an Ice well would be ideal.

bargun.jpg  

Old 02-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #24
AfternoonReview
Recipes 

Jaybrinks - it looks like there is a tap built into that compensating valve. I assume you can serve straight from it?

Old 02-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #25
Jaybrinks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yes you can...it is the same as a Pre-mix fountain machine valve...just hand held. The draw back...is you can only pour one flavor out of it if you pre-mix your soda flavors in a tank. It would work well for pouring soda water then manually adding syrup in the glass.

If you want to pour multiple pre-mixed flavors....a premix bargun setup would be a better option. http://www.gulficesystems.com/p12bargun.html

This link is just for the pictures....I don't know if it's the best place to buy one or not.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:55 AM   #26
MrAdamDuke
Recipes 

Any tips on where to find one of these?

Old 02-29-2012, 02:28 AM   #27
xokeman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Check chicompany for a soda gun

Old 03-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #28
AfternoonReview
Recipes 

Mr Adam Duke - to answer your question from a while ago -that is what I plan on doing. Look up "we no need no stinkin beer gun" on the forum and you'll see a nice write up on how to dispense from a keg. I once poured store-bought carbonated water onto some syrup I'd made and it foamed up like crazy, so I'm not sure how this will work out. I'm going to try though.

Brewnanza - to answer your question from a while ago - I think you're supposed to keg water at about 30psi to carbonate it. 45 PSI might be too much. Try lowering the pressure and see what happens.

Quick Reply