Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Newbie soda/kegging questions - making soda at a restaurant

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #11
KevinM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, if you're going for full food source then don't. But check the other shopping, because the one you posted does not include a keg at all. Which is surprisingly expensive to me.

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Cart...path=110288444 comes with a keg and is about the same price, but only a 2.5 pound tank that you'd need to upgrade. Probably a 5 pound at least, if not more. There should be some info about how many kegs a 5 pound tank would carbonate and push. (Maybe even a 5 or 20 pound tank for carbonating beforehand and a 2.5 pound tank to do the pushing, since it's easier to carry.)

Most places will let you upgrade the tank and ask for a different hose length.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #12
AfternoonReview
Recipes 

So I can carbonate with one CO2 tank, disconnect it when the carbonation process is finished, then connect a different CO2 tank to serve with? That would be handy.

I'll definitely do some shopping around.

Thanks again

Old 07-31-2011, 05:33 AM   #13
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3202 Times on 3106 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonReview View Post
So I can carbonate with one CO2 tank, disconnect it when the carbonation process is finished, then connect a different CO2 tank to serve with? That would be handy.

I'll definitely do some shopping around.

Thanks again
Yes. And FWIW you'll likely need lines longer than 15'. The resistance of beverage lines varies a bit between manufacturers and most of the 3/16" line has less than the often quoted 2psi/ft. From my experience and what I've read others on here using, I'd say 20'-30' is probably closer. The easy way to balance a system is to buy longer lines than you need and then cut small lengths until you get a good pour.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #14
AfternoonReview
Recipes 

I appreciate the advice- maybe I'll start with about 35' and cut my way down until it's right.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #15
Chenping
Recipes 

Hi Guys

Thanks for u all, I have learned a lot. I am planning to run a mobile soda cart. My question is, do I need to keep the carbonated water in the refrigerator all time?

Thanks

Old 11-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #16
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You'll probably want to keep it cold all the time as that will impact how well it absorbs/holds CO2.

I got that homemade soda book and it has lots of great ideas. I'm switching from concentrates to making my own syrups and I am surprised at how easy it is to do and how well they turn out.

As for serving and line length... I keep my lengths the same as my beer lines (around ten feet) and use bayonets in the kegs themselves (2 per keg) to slow the flow down. I set it and forget it at 30 PSI and it is generally ready in about a week.

I think an old school soda fountain with a variety of homemade syrups would be a great attraction. The ability to mix and match flavors combined with the charm of an actual soda bar would be a big hit I think. It is also much easier to maintain since you don't have to deal with flavors being imparted to the O rings and tubing or cleaning up gunked up taps/lines or any of that. Less taps that have to be maintained too which will make things a lot easier.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 02-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #17
AfternoonReview
Recipes 

I finally got a couple of kegs. One for beer and one for water. The water's been carbing at 30 PSI for a few days now. I only have a 4 ft picnic tap though, so I'll have to go through the trouble of lowering the keg pressure when I serve for now. Can't wait to make some syrups and give it a shot. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Lowering your pressure to serve only works if you purge the headspace first, and even then I've had mixed results. Plus you blast through a lot of CO2 that way.

Consider this, keg pressurized to 30psi and left to carbonate will have a headspace of 30 psi. If you purge and then serve at 12psi, CO2 is going to come out of solution and fill that headspace until it's at equilibrium somewhere between 12 and 30psi, which will be dependent on the amount of headspace it has to pressurize.

I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just the less effective way of doing things.

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Old 02-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #19
MrAdamDuke
Recipes 

I'm gathering together the equipment to just this and had a question... I'm wanting to bottle my soda in glass after carbonating it, if I carbonated water in a keg and added syrup to the bottles, dispensed the soda water in and capped them would this hold the carbonation sufficiently? Or is there a better method?

Old 02-09-2012, 05:37 AM   #20
Brewnanza
Recipes 

I also wanted to run a homemade soda business. I started making my fresh fruits juice soda with spices from the siphon, It turn out very good. I wanted to sales my soda at farmer's market but when I try in 5 gal I have no luck. I have problem with my pineapple soda. At 45 psi in the fridge for 2 weeks, it still not fizz enough. It turn out with soft fizz. There's a lot of bubbles and very foamy. I've 30' of 3/16. I'd end up dumped it out. I've orange with mint ready to go in the keg but so worry if I would face the same problem. Please need lots of advices.

Quick Reply