Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Newbie with questions - (root beer kit)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 07:02 PM   #11
Germey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blow Leprechaun View Post
Hershey is still located in Pennsylvania, they simply opened another plant in Canada in 1963, 30 years before NAFTA. This plant closed last year, and operations were relocated to Mexico, which has more to do with labor costs than sugar tariffs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newell456 View Post
I prefer to use cane sugar, but this a personal preference. Cane sugar is a rarity in sodas in the U.S. because of tariffs desigened to encourage the use of domestic sweeteners like high fructose corn syrup or beer sugar. Thus, if you use cane sugar you'll be making a soda that you can't really get here and would have to go to Canada to get. This is really sad when you realize that Hershey moved from Pennsylvania to Canada under NAFTA because of these tarriffs, but I digress.
HFCS is used in all the US made sodas simply because it is the cheapest ingredient available. The corn industry is a mind bending monstrosity, and is well chronicled in the book The Omnivore's Dilemma and the documentary King Corn.
Here in the San Diego area Costco's, we can get Coke that is mfg in Mexico, with cane sugar. I can detect, and prefer, the different taste.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #12
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germey View Post
Here in the San Diego area Costco's, we can get Coke that is mfg in Mexico, with cane sugar. I can detect, and prefer, the different taste.
I think a lot of people do, I know Dublin Dr. Pepper is supposed to be outstanding.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:03 PM   #13
wilbanba
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

its really quite simple
get some good extract (for starting out) follow directions
use clean PET 2L bottle or smaller/larger depending on your batch size
use clean, freshly drawn water - important!
make 1st batch with refined sugar to get a baseline taste going then vary depending on preference (honey, molasses, turbinado, cane, etc.)
bottle ferment for 2-4 days until bottle is tight
put in fridge for same amount of days to slow fermentation
enjoy
repeat

Last edited by wilbanba; 07-28-2008 at 11:40 PM.

Quick Reply