*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
Flyboy718
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFoodScientist View Post
I'd recommend using yeast in glass, especially if you're going to give as gifts. You never know when they're going to drink it, or how they're going to store it. And if you tell them to refrigerate it or it will be a grenade, then they may be afraid of it.

Bottle in plastic if you use yeast, but it still needs refrigerated when it's carbonated and even then it has very limited shelf life.

I bottle mine in glass from the keg, which works beautifully if you do it right. I'd suggest going the easy route and mixing syrup with club soda, or buy a sodastream. I'm not much a fan of the sodastream because it's pricier in the log run than kegging, but my brother-in-law loves his.
I am interested in this also, but I hear a small amount of alcohol from the yeast though and I have kids. I really really want to bottle into glass from a keg...what kinda keg do you have? Does your soda get its carbonation from sitting in the keg with yeast or do you put sugar in your bottles and then drain from keg into bottles for yeast to eat and carbonate?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

No, I force carbonate. I meant to say in my earlier post that I'd recommend against using yeast in glass. I've gone back and edited, it so it's less confusing. Sorry about that.

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Old 07-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #13
MagicMike
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I see most people on youtube describe the process of carbonating the cold water inside the 2L bottle, and then they add the syrup and mix. Can't you carbonate the bottle already with the syrup mixed into the water?

I ask this because if I'm having to shake the bottle which reduces the cold temperature in the bottle and then add the room temperature syrup you will end up with having to refridge the bottle again for drinking temp. Also, if my store bought coke gets flat can I recarb it?

Old 07-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #14
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yup, depending on if I want to have soda water to mix with any variety of syrup, or if I want to make an entire batch just one flavor.

And yes, use a carbonator cap.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Quick Reply