Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > new to homemade soda making

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
yummybeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default new to homemade soda making

i've been brewing beer for quite a while now and plan to continue for many years. i have recently thought about making my own soda, as well.

since i never made my own soda before, i'm wondering (and this may be a stupid question) if caffIne can be added to homemade soda as part of the recipe? also, what equipment would be helpful for the process? any other tips will be appriciated, thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
Stout-n-Braggot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Carbonated coffee perhaps...?

Old 02-26-2011, 05:58 AM   #3
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would think that caffeine would be a viable ingredient. There are studies that show caffeine doesn't actually have any flavor to it, so could potentially be added to anything. (Its just a case of if you want something with caffeine or not.) http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002445.htm
This means you can potentially caffinate any soda you would ever want. Even plain caffinated water (fizzy or non).

Generally speaking, there's two ways to go about soda. There's the co2 tank process, usually using either a keg, or a carbonator cap and 2 liter bottle, or there's sugar and yeast.

That will carbonate the liquid. After (or before/during) is just the flavorings, wether you want to create your own by some sort of method, or to use a flavor extract/syrup.
Carbonating by co2 tank is pretty easy, just carbonate the keg or 2 liter and use it either as is, premixed (before carbonating) or after by using carbonated water and flavor syrup. People tend to use upwards of 12 psi, (usually around 35-45 psi depending on the desired carbonation).

Using yeast and sugar tends to be harder. Even harder than beer. With beer, it's generally that the yeast will consume the priming sugar and produce co2 and perhaps a bit of alcohol, then stop because the sugar is consumed.
With soda however, because there tends to be a lot more sugar, you have to be aware of the current pressure (usually by taste test, squeeze test on a plastic bottle, or a pressure gauge) to find out when you think it's ready and cold store the rest and drink it pretty quickly (since it would still carbonate further in cold storage, just slower than if it were 60 degrees).
Alternatively, you can carbonate it as if it were beer when using non -fermentable sugar, so that when yeast finish the sugar, it stops eating anything else. (again, this is similar to priming sugar where x amount of sugar will generate Y amount of carbonation. Refer to your beer charts for this) This method is useful when sweetening a soda without sugar (using splenda/sucralose, nutrasweet/aspartamine, zevia/stevia and sweetnlow/Saccharin. Maybe xyitol?

Old 04-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
gclay
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'd try going to the drug store and getting caffine pills, 12 for about 3 bucks. 100mg each pure caffine. They work great for long nights.

You bring 1 purple crayon to class and they stick you on the short bus!! - Theresa Stanton

Old 04-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
sicabeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was looking for some way to add guarana to my soda. I went to the grocery store, but could not find any of it it the heath food place. I see powder and stuff online. So mine is low cal and caffine free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guarana

Old 04-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
jblizz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclay View Post
I'd try going to the drug store and getting caffine pills, 12 for about 3 bucks. 100mg each pure caffine. They work great for long nights.
You can get 200 of them for like $8 on amazon they have guarana as well in liquid, powder and pill form...

Old 04-17-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
EFaden
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblizz View Post
You can get 200 of them for like $8 on amazon they have guarana as well in liquid, powder and pill form...
If you were really inclined you could get a jar of caffeine from a lab supply company.

-Eric

Quick Reply