Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > My Root Beer stinks!! I give up.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #21
djbradle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
The best yeast I've found for soda is champagne yeast- either Lalvin's EC-1118 or RedStar's Pasteur Champagne. A little spoonful is enough, and it's very neutral tasting.
Hmmm. I tried the champagne yeast from Red Star for a grape soda and got sulfur city and it still has not flocculated after 3 days at no more that 40F. I think the Premier Cuvee is the key here. I found the that champagne yeast is even advertised as "yeasty" by some online sellers' descriptives. I actually just used Fleishmann's myself for a simple rootbeer and it left no detectable bad flavors/aromas in it after a week.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #22
KingPin
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Hey Guys,
I've had the same smell off of fermenting that you guys are talking about. The only way that I fixed this was with really good and thorough cleaning and sanitizing. I wash my spoons, bottles, caps, hands, counters, siphon, measuring cups, and leave a little in the sink with a cloth / paper towel in case I need it again for anything.

I picked up this powered sanitizer from my LHBS ... it was white and doesnt require extensive rinsing (big plus).

I'd say you are very close just work out the cleaning / disinfecting and I think you've got it made.

PS: I used fleishmanns yeast and it turns out smelling / tasting funky as opposed to other champagne or wine yeasts.

What we measure affects what we do. If we have the wrong metrics, we will strive for the wrong things."
--Joseph Stiglitz

Old 02-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #23
djbradle
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Not a sanitation issue for me. This is strictly a yeast issue with temps I believe is related to the strain. It's the right strain and temps that matter. I'm going to try another strain and ferment lower, maybe in the 60's.

Some yeast are notorious for sulfur production and this dissipates with time as I've experienced many times with brewing beer with certain strains. When it comes to soda there really is no "conditioning" to speak of. The only thing your doing when carbonating with yeast for soda is halting primary fermentation in it's tracks or severely limiting it's forward progress. Volatiles produced during this phase will likely not age away unless it was left to ferment out and condition, as with brewing beer, wine, or mead. This is why the sulfur in my soda may never go away. I could be wrong with that specific function but in this case the yeast is put to sleep and can't spend the time to "clean" up after itself. It's possible after a long cold phase that the yeast will be compact enough and with a perfect pour obtaining no sediment then maybe you will get a clean taste and aroma, maybe. I hope this is the case in the next week for my grape soda and if not, it's in the drain.

Quick Reply