Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > My Kegerator is turning into an Italian Soda Fountain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
Richabt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default My Kegerator is turning into an Italian Soda Fountain

In an effort to help my SWMBO to embrace my homebrewing hobby. I dedicated one keg to only hold carbonated water. I also picked up several flavors of the Italian syrups. The syrups come in sugar free options as well. It seems to be working so far.

Both my wife and son make regular trips to the kegerator every day. Not being a huge soda fan myself, I have been surprised to find out how much I like them as well.

Just curious if anyone else has tried this route?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Windigstadt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We have a four-tap kegerator and I save the fourth tap for a non-alcoholic offering. Usually that means root beer but we do seltzer from time to time as well. I'm a big fan of orange and vanilla syrup plus a dollop of cream... it's like a creamsicle! If you do a little digging around you can find some old soda fountain recipes which are fun to mess around with.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
dogtailale
Recipes 

Ive been thinking about that. I got the room its a six keg 19 sq ft refer could easley pop another tap in it.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
celticcolorado
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That is a great idea! Thanks for posting Richabt

Old 08-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I've dedicated one tap to soda. I have been messing around with a light lemon/lime type soda but have considered going the route you went too. There are so many varieties of flavors out there you can't really go wrong.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 08-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
cedar_lake
Recipes 

Ive been thinking about doing this. Do you guys generally do a second regulator to hold you soda at a higher carbonation level?

Old 08-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
Windigstadt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedar_lake View Post
Ive been thinking about doing this. Do you guys generally do a second regulator to hold you soda at a higher carbonation level?
Here's what I do. I carb at around 40 PSI for a couple days. After that, I just throw it on tap at the same pressure as my beer (12 PSI). I know theoretically it's losing carbonation over time but it's never lost enough for me to notice.

Now I posted this once before and immediately somebody else posted that you HAVE to get a second regulator. If you've got nothing better to do with your money, then by all means go out and buy another one. But if you want to potentially save a few bucks, try it my way first. If that doesn't work for you, THEN go out and buy another regulator. Just my two cents...

Old 08-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #8
cedar_lake
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigstadt View Post
Here's what I do. I carb at around 40 PSI for a couple days. After that, I just throw it on tap at the same pressure as my beer (12 PSI). I know theoretically it's losing carbonation over time but it's never lost enough for me to notice.

Now I posted this once before and immediately somebody else posted that you HAVE to get a second regulator. If you've got nothing better to do with your money, then by all means go out and buy another one. But if you want to potentially save a few bucks, try it my way first. If that doesn't work for you, THEN go out and buy another regulator. Just my two cents...
How long do you usually have a keg of soda around? I'm trying to think through how often we would go through 5 gallons- My wife and I are big seltzer/Pellegrino fans as it is some if we could get a couple of weeks out of it it would probably be fine...

Old 08-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
Windigstadt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedar_lake View Post
How long do you usually have a keg of soda around? I'm trying to think through how often we would go through 5 gallons- My wife and I are big seltzer/Pellegrino fans as it is some if we could get a couple of weeks out of it it would probably be fine...
I would say it takes us at least a month to go through five gallons. And by the way, if you like mineral water, you can mess with adding salts/gypsum to taste.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
Richabt
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I more or less do mine the same way as Windigstadt. I force carb it at 35 to 40 and than drop it to 10-12. Right now I am using a 3gal corny, but will need to switch to a 5 gal. Between the wife, kids, and myself, the 3 gal corny last about a week and a half.

Quick Reply