Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > maltodextrin powder and sweeteners?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
Keibatsu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default maltodextrin powder and sweeteners?

I have made a few home made syrups for my soda, made cream soda and root beer using root beer extract. I have used normal baking sugar and it seems to almost not mix well with the flavor. You can taste the sweetness of the sugar separately from the flavor of the soda, it is kinda hard to explain but something seems off. For example for the root beer I made, you could taste the sugary sweetness and the root beer flavor individually, instead of it just tasting like root beer soda. What sweeteners do you guys use to carry the flavor better? I have considered using brown sugar for root beer or light corn syrup. Also I have read a bit about Maltodextrin and am wondering if maybe that is what my syrups are missing, it seems it is meant to give the soda body and to carry the flavor. What are your opinions on sweeteners and maltodextrin, and where can I get it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Keibatsu
Recipes 

bump? anyone?

Old 08-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
thomasseauj
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keibatsu
I have made a few home made syrups for my soda, made cream soda and root beer using root beer extract. I have used normal baking sugar and it seems to almost not mix well with the flavor. You can taste the sweetness of the sugar separately from the flavor of the soda, it is kinda hard to explain but something seems off. For example for the root beer I made, you could taste the sugary sweetness and the root beer flavor individually, instead of it just tasting like root beer soda. What sweeteners do you guys use to carry the flavor better? I have considered using brown sugar for root beer or light corn syrup. Also I have read a bit about Maltodextrin and am wondering if maybe that is what my syrups are missing, it seems it is meant to give the soda body and to carry the flavor. What are your opinions on sweeteners and maltodextrin, and where can I get it?
I use 2 1/2 T Maltodextrin per gal. Heightens the sweeteners and provides a better mouth feel.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:24 AM   #4
Taz420NJ
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm totally new to this - I am still in the "gathering stuff" stage and haven't even made my first recipe yet, so if I'm off base don't kill me.. But from what I understand maltodextrin doesn't really do anything for the sweetness in soda, it's just a 'heading' agent. I know it is used as a fluffy carrier medium for sucralose (Splenda) in order to make it a "cup for cup" replacement..

If the flavors aren't combining on the palate, I would think that they were not boiled together for a long enough period. Maybe also try using a finer milled sugar?

Quick Reply