Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Lots of Line and Still Foam

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 03:56 AM   #1
aussieskier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lots of Line and Still Foam

I have spent the past two days searching around for a solution to this problem and have yet to find a fix so I thought I would make a post about my specific problem.

I have a keg of root beer that at ~38F and set at 40psi to carb up.

In an attempt to balance out the system so I can serve at these pressures, I tried 20' and then 40' of line but I am still loads of foam.

The soda still shoots out and there are large gaps in the fluid to the point where the coils of line quake when I try to pour.

The end result is that I get half a glass of foam that dissolves away, leaving basically flat root beer.

I am beginning to wonder if I merely have too much line at this point since turning down the pressure, purging the headspace and serving at a lower temp seems to make the foam even worse.

Any suggestions welcomed to this increasingly frustrating endeavor.
Thanks in advance,

Riley

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2009, 05:44 AM   #2
Cheeto
Born again N00b
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 15

so you are trying to serve at 40psi?

That is way too high knock that pressure down to at most 15psi.

it sounds like you are a small diameter line as well. 1/4" (6MM) at that length is a bit too small. I would try a 5/16th" (8MM) line. I would double check that Keg as well you may have a leaky o-ring letting gas in to your outbound line or a faucet that is not sealing correctly

Old 12-08-2009, 06:00 AM   #3
aussieskier
Recipes 

I could understand dropping the pressure if this was beer. Correct me if I am wrong, but if I want to keep the root beer at around 4 volumes of CO2, dropping the pressure to 15psi would make the CO2 slowly come out of solution. This was the impression I was under anyways

Thus, serving at ~35psi would enable the C02 to stay in solution without having to always vent the keg when you want to serve.

As for a leaky o-ring, I hadn't thought about that. I haven't noticed any external leaks, but I suppose it would be the dip tube oring that was leaking. I will have to check that. Thanks for that idea.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
marzsit
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

i've made root beer carbed at 30psi and served thru 20' of 3/16" line with no problems. root beer can be very tricky to serve, especially if it has a lot of honey or brown sugar in it..

Old 12-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1044 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Right, you didn't mention the diameter of the tubing. If it's not 3/16", you're losing there. Also, the reason CO2 comes out of solution in the lines is that you have a temperature differential between the keg and where the line is coiled up. A small computer fan in the fridge just moving the air around will help a lot.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 12-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeto View Post
so you are trying to serve at 40psi?

That is way too high knock that pressure down to at most 15psi.

it sounds like you are a small diameter line as well. 1/4" (6MM) at that length is a bit too small. I would try a 5/16th" (8MM) line. I would double check that Keg as well you may have a leaky o-ring letting gas in to your outbound line or a faucet that is not sealing correctly
If you're using 3/16" line, 30-40 psi is about right. I use that pressure, and I use a rigid line of about 30 feet.

As Bobby_M said, the line needs to be as cold as the keg. I have mine would up and twisty tied around the keg.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

Ditto on 3/16ths. I use 40 psi and 20' of 3/16ths. I also have it coiled to fit on top of the cornie.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
aussieskier
Recipes 

I am using 3/16th hose and it is all coiled on top of the keg.

I will have to try it this morning to see if letting the hose cool over night since messing with it helped.

Yooper, wrapping around the keg sounds like a good way to handle the excess line.

We will see what some testing yields this morning.

Cheers,
Riley

Old 12-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #9
aussieskier
Recipes 

Alrighty, I think I got the problem sorted out.

Seems it was probably a bit of both the line temp and a leak around the diptube o-ring.

My first test it poured much better than last night but there were still some air gaps and a bit too much foam.

I took off the out post on the keg and changed the diptube o-ring and that seems to have solved the problem completely.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:31 AM   #10
beilber
Recipes 

Well this was educational.....

I have my setup as 3/16 hose @ 6' length. I kegged the rootbeer and pumped it up to 50 psi @ 40F. I served it Xmas eve @10psi and had a foamy mess. I have it in my Garage right now which is at about 20F still @10psi. When I started reading I was planning to buy a 20' then just now i got myself a glass and it was the best pour yet! Nice carbonation Bite so I know its not loosing carbonation, and I am plain confused.

No question just felt like Sharing

On deck: Milk Stout #2
Primary 1:
Primary 2:
Secondary 1: Holiday Ale #3 (Espresso Vanilla)
Secondary 2:
Bottled: Milk Stout #1
Keg 1: Root Beer
Keg 2:

Words to Live by: WWJPD - What Would John Palmer Do?

Quick Reply