Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Looking for some advice on lemonade and the difficulty of getting lemonade to carb up

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
EoinMag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default Looking for some advice on lemonade and the difficulty of getting lemonade to carb up

Hi all,

I made my first traditional style lemonade recently, I made ginger beer, orangeade and lemonade. The ginger carbed up within 24hours, the orangeade within 48 and I'm still waiting almost 120 days later on the lemonade, I even repitched with wine yeast.
I think the high acidity of the lemonade inhibited the yeast, any tips on this from anyone?

Eoin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EoinMag View Post
Hi all,

I made my first traditional style lemonade recently, I made ginger beer, orangeade and lemonade. The ginger carbed up within 24hours, the orangeade within 48 and I'm still waiting almost 120 days later on the lemonade, I even repitched with wine yeast.
I think the high acidity of the lemonade inhibited the yeast, any tips on this from anyone?

Eoin
The Hard Lemonade's I have made were very slow to start (fermentation). If you used "Wine" yeast, what yeast was it? Some strains will not do well with high acid environments. I use D-47 on my batches and usually have good results, albeit slow starts.

If you are out to 120 days, are you refering to bottle conditioning or fermentation? Thats a long time in a fermenter with no CO2 layer of protection on the Lemonade. Have you checked your S.G. with a hydrometer?

Salute!
On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Old 03-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Given that your soda isn't carbing I would suspect you are correct about the acidity. Would you mind posting your recipe? Maybe someone here can give some experiential advice.

My first thought would be a blend soda, say Ginger Lemon. Then you would have the bite/tartness you are looking for and maybe better carbing.

The advice already given about your yeast would be another start. Research some yeast strains and their tolerance to acidity/low pH environments.

120days is definitely extreme for a soda. You could look into force carbing with Carbing Caps. There are commercial versions, but someone here posted how they made their own with tire stems and CO2 hand-cartridge systems.

Good luck

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 03-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
EoinMag
Recipes 

oops
I just looked back there
it says 120 days
that should read 10, I fat fingered that.
lol sorry.

I started by using an opened pack of cider yeast that I spread among all the sodas, like I said, 4 of them worked.
When the other two didn't work I decided to try the KV1116 that I have there, so I opened a pack of that, still no joy.
This weekend I opened one to check on progress and have a go at it, I ended up mixing it with vodka when we were having a session, it was good, but only very very very lightly carbed.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
EoinMag
Recipes 

recipe was kinda winging it based on an uncarbed lemonade I've made before and the taste. I used 9 lemons to make 2X2 litre batches.

Juice of 4.5 lemons
1 cup of sugar
A small grate of ginger
Yeast

Topped up with water and in a 2 litre plastic bottle, put into clothes press where it's warm and the others worked within 48 hours at the latest.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
EoinMag
Recipes 

Update on this one, my other half msn'd me at work today and asked if that was lemonade in the airing cupboard and I realised I'd forgotten about this after the repitch.
I told her to put it in the fridge and I'd test it later. It took it about 10 days but it's finally carbed up quite nicely.
Patience can be a virtue with the sodas too it would appear, but it got there eventually and it's delicious.

Quick Reply