Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Lets talk Soda FAQ!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #31
Mcduff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodd View Post
I made a batch of rootbeer with a friend with a splenda/sugar mix. The package says the ratio for sugar replacement. We used that and it tasted good.
I am using a picnic tap at the moment. Could you share the ratio the package gave you? My package does not seem to have it.

Thanks!

Fermenting
Primary - none

Conditioning
none

On Tap
Keg1- EdWort's Apfelwein, Keg2- Blackberry Cider, Keg3- soda water, Keg4- Diet Coke, Keg5- Coke Zero

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #32
rodd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcduff View Post
I am using a picnic tap at the moment. Could you share the ratio the package gave you? My package does not seem to have it.

Thanks!
I don't have the package anymore, but I did a google search and found this:

This is for the Splenda/Sugar blend. The ratio for straight Splenda is lower.

Looks like you use 1/2 of what the recipe calls for. Mine seemed a little too sweet for my tastes, possibly because I kegged so no yeast to eat any of the sugar, so when I do it again I will do less. Enjoy!

Old 01-06-2010, 06:34 AM   #33
Mcduff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodd View Post
I don't have the package anymore, but I did a google search and found this:

This is for the Splenda/Sugar blend. The ratio for straight Splenda is lower.

Looks like you use 1/2 of what the recipe calls for. Mine seemed a little too sweet for my tastes, possibly because I kegged so no yeast to eat any of the sugar, so when I do it again I will do less. Enjoy!
Awsome information! Thank you!

Fermenting
Primary - none

Conditioning
none

On Tap
Keg1- EdWort's Apfelwein, Keg2- Blackberry Cider, Keg3- soda water, Keg4- Diet Coke, Keg5- Coke Zero

Old 11-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #34
Ramdough
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter
I have wunder-bar system, so I have a keg of carbonated water in the keezer that feeds into the wunder-bar as well as a syrup pump and a box of diet coke syrup. I am also going to start making my own cream soda syrup as soon as I can nail down the recipe. Then I'll recycle one of the bags in a box with my other syrup pump and have two flavors.

I keep the keg in the fridge at 30 psi. I have one carbonating outside the fridge at all times (we go through it quick) that I try to keep at 40 psi, but even if you had it at 30 it would be closer to ready when you swap it for the empty.
Do you mind starting a thread on your wunder-bar setup? I just picked up one on eBay and I am trying to plan out my system. I have 8 syrup pumps with it and a carbonator pump.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #35
Don_Coyote
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blow Leprechaun View Post
The problem is that if you can't force carbonate (like in a keg), you need to use yeast to bottle condition.

And if you use yeast to bottle condition, you'd need to somehow stop the yeast to keep them from fermenting all the sugar.

In a plastic 2L bottle, you stick it in the fridge. You know when to do it because the bottle gets hard.

In glass bottles, you can't tell when it's fully carbonated, and you'd need to keep all of those bottles refrigerated. Even then, I've found that my soda works very, very slowly in the refrigerator still, so I wouldn't want to store anything in glass long-term.
What about pasteurizing the glass bottles? Would the heat cause the bottles to explode if they have reached a decent level of carbonation? Would it alter the taste significantly?

Quick Reply