Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Lets talk Soda FAQ!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #11
The Blow Leprechaun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
How do you make it? Please?
1) Sanitize an empty two-liter soda bottle. Rinse and empty.

2) Dump 1-2 cups of sugar into now empty bottle, depending on how sweet I want it to be. Add 4 teaspoons of lemon juice (for acidity), and whatever flavoring I want.

3) Top bottle nearly up with clean water, shake to mix everything and dissolve at least most of the sugar, then add 1/4 teaspoon of bread yeast.

4) Set on counter at room temperature with the cap tightly sealed until the bottle is hard when squeezed. Place in refrigerator for a few hours til the yeast settles out, then drink!

Alternatively, you can heat the water and cool it to dissolve any flavor elements or sugars into it. I've found it mostly unnecessary to do this, but you can.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2009, 11:30 PM   #12
luvmy40
Recipes 

Does anyone else just keep a keg of water carbonated?
I just get the flavored syrups from the coffee shops or institutional food store and the kids make their own recipes. Just spritz with home made carbo wasser and Voila'... Soda!

*TANSTAAFL*
The best things in are NOT free. They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!

Old 01-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
Does anyone else just keep a keg of water carbonated?
I just get the flavored syrups from the coffee shops or institutional food store and the kids make their own recipes. Just spritz with home made carbo wasser and Voila'... Soda!
I would do that if I kegged. I grew up calling that method Italian soda... not sure why I called it that.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:07 PM   #14
MFDave
Recipes 

So is it a no-no to bottle carb in glass bottles?

Primary: Pomegranate Apfelwein, Brandon O's Graff (w/ some slight alterations)
Bottle Conditioning: Die Apple! Apfelwein, Pear Soda (w/ vanilla & cinnamon), Mango Soda, Orange-Cream Soda, Ginger Ale
Awesoming: Die Apple! Apfelwein
Up Next: Cherry Vanilla Cider

Old 01-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFDave View Post
So is it a no-no to bottle carb in glass bottles?
Absolutely a no-no. There would be no way to ensure even carbonation, and to be able to judge carbonation level. Plastic is the only safe method, if you're bottle carbing.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:22 PM   #16
MFDave
Recipes 

Is there a way to carb in plastic and then transfer to glass? I'm just curious.

Primary: Pomegranate Apfelwein, Brandon O's Graff (w/ some slight alterations)
Bottle Conditioning: Die Apple! Apfelwein, Pear Soda (w/ vanilla & cinnamon), Mango Soda, Orange-Cream Soda, Ginger Ale
Awesoming: Die Apple! Apfelwein
Up Next: Cherry Vanilla Cider

Old 01-17-2009, 02:18 AM   #17
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFDave View Post
Is there a way to carb in plastic and then transfer to glass? I'm just curious.
The problem is that if you can't force carbonate (like in a keg), you need to use yeast to bottle condition.

And if you use yeast to bottle condition, you'd need to somehow stop the yeast to keep them from fermenting all the sugar.

In a plastic 2L bottle, you stick it in the fridge. You know when to do it because the bottle gets hard.

In glass bottles, you can't tell when it's fully carbonated, and you'd need to keep all of those bottles refrigerated. Even then, I've found that my soda works very, very slowly in the refrigerator still, so I wouldn't want to store anything in glass long-term.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #18
merddyn2002
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blow Leprechaun View Post
The problem is that if you can't force carbonate (like in a keg), you need to use yeast to bottle condition.

And if you use yeast to bottle condition, you'd need to somehow stop the yeast to keep them from fermenting all the sugar.

In a plastic 2L bottle, you stick it in the fridge. You know when to do it because the bottle gets hard.

In glass bottles, you can't tell when it's fully carbonated, and you'd need to keep all of those bottles refrigerated. Even then, I've found that my soda works very, very slowly in the refrigerator still, so I wouldn't want to store anything in glass long-term.
Been homebrewin for a few years now and discovered that freezing wine after the primary fermentation period will kill 99% or the yeast. The secret is to get a really cold freeze. I use a small chest deep freeze and just drop the 2 liter bottles in. I imagine the same technique would work for soda as well. Getting the carbonated drinks cold won't hurt the carbonation at all I dont think.

I'm just now getting into soda making so i'll give it a try and let you folks know. I would imagine if it works as well for soda as it does for wine it'll greatly increase the long-term storage of soda.

Additionally. you can decrease the amount of actual sugar used and substitute some non-sugar sweetner (like stevia) so that the yeast run out of food earlier and you have the non-fermentable sweetner left in the bottle. I've been doing that for wine for about a year now. We used to buy Stevia from GNC but we're starting to grow our own now.

Real men make their own beer. | Meads & Wines 10+ years, Beers < 1 year.
-=[High Gravity] 10% off coupon code "simplehomebrewing"=- (my fav supplier)
[My FB] [SimpleHomeBrewing.com (my site)] [BringYourOwnKeg.com] [Beersmith Brewing Software]

Last edited by merddyn2002; 01-26-2009 at 06:55 PM.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #19
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have wunder-bar system, so I have a keg of carbonated water in the keezer that feeds into the wunder-bar as well as a syrup pump and a box of diet coke syrup. I am also going to start making my own cream soda syrup as soon as I can nail down the recipe. Then I'll recycle one of the bags in a box with my other syrup pump and have two flavors.

I keep the keg in the fridge at 30 psi. I have one carbonating outside the fridge at all times (we go through it quick) that I try to keep at 40 psi, but even if you had it at 30 it would be closer to ready when you swap it for the empty.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 02-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #20
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

so how long are we talking for the line. 10 foot is way too short. is 20 enough?

On Tap:warrior apa
On Tap: crystal light
On Tap:BM's centenial blonde
"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Quick Reply