New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Lemon Soda Recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 05:39 AM   #11
HippieCrack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blow Leprechaun View Post
Fleischmann's active dry yeast. I do get a sour odor - more sourdough than rotten eggs - but it dissipates pretty quickly.
I used the same. Does it just slowly go away after you open the bottle or what?

Thanks for the help, by the way

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #12
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've found that when I first open the bottle, it's pretty strong, but by the time it's in a glass it fades into the background. It's still there, and if I were making soda for a special occasion, I'd splurge and use another yeast, but for my own drinking, I can ignore the aroma since it doesn't impact the flavor much.

I think it's also affected by what kind of soda you're making. Ginger ale it's barely noticeable because the ginger itself provides some aroma. Using an extract or a flavoring, it's more present because those things have little in the way of aroma.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #13
Jeebs
Recipes 

My experience with bread yeast is about how Leprechaun describes it. With strong sodas it isn't all that unpleasant, except the initial pour. I had one batch that smelled horrible, but I suspect it was contaminated. I've since moved on to using just ale yeast, and I don't get any more whiffs of sourdough.

Back on topic, I made a batch of lemon/lime soda that turned out decent. I squeezed six limes and used a bunch of lemon juice. I also soaked lime zest in everclear in an attempt to make lime extract, and threw in a bit of ginger for zing. I was using a different yeast than usual, and it took quite a while to carbonate (~7 days). The final product was bubbly and crisp, and didn't have the foamy head I've been getting with Cooper's yeast. I like it.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #14
HippieCrack
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs View Post
My experience with bread yeast is about how Leprechaun describes it. With strong sodas it isn't all that unpleasant, except the initial pour. I had one batch that smelled horrible, but I suspect it was contaminated. I've since moved on to using just ale yeast, and I don't get any more whiffs of sourdough.

Back on topic, I made a batch of lemon/lime soda that turned out decent. I squeezed six limes and used a bunch of lemon juice. I also soaked lime zest in everclear in an attempt to make lime extract, and threw in a bit of ginger for zing. I was using a different yeast than usual, and it took quite a while to carbonate (~7 days). The final product was bubbly and crisp, and didn't have the foamy head I've been getting with Cooper's yeast. I like it.
I'll have to try ale yeast, sounds good.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:15 AM   #15
stickerweed
Recipes 

Default stickerweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blow Leprechaun View Post
I don't have a lemon soda recipe, but I recently made a lime soda (I tend to think of lemon as that ingredient that ruins sprite by perverting my beautiful lime flavor).

I don't know what kind of batch size/process you're planning to use. I made mine directly in an empty 2L soda bottle.

I had some leftover lime extract and lime bitter I had made a while ago for a beer recipe and decided to use them up in this. I used a lot more than I had expected to need, and I still didn't feel like I got enough lime flavor to come through.

Mostly, though, I felt the soda came out flat. If I were going to do it again, I would definitely consider upping the acidity of the soda. Mine had no bite to it. I used 4 tsp of lemon juice in 2 liters, which is sufficient for acidity in my ginger ale, but was not nearly enough here.

I don't think there's any way you're going to pull it off without lemon extract, even if you just make it yourself (lemon zest + vodka for a week or so). After that, just taste it as you add it until it tastes right.

If you'd like, I can dredge out of my memory what I used to create my soda, along with what changes I would make it if I were to make it again today.
I remember drinking commercially made "Suncrest" brand lemon sodas back in the 1950s and 1960s when I lived near Paducah, Kentucky. One of those frosty cold on a hot, 110 degree day was like a taste of sheer heaven! I cannot understand why they're so hard to come by since Lemonade has always been pretty popular. I live in Nashville, Tennessee now and no luck finding them down here either.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:50 AM   #16
daft
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Carbonated lemon soda is common and excellant outside the US. For some reason most lemon in a soda container in usa is dead (still) lemonade. In australia, fanta lemon soda is everywhere, and has real lemon in it. Europe and even india has delicious lemon sodas, better than dead lemonade. Italian lemon soda can be heavy on the bitter zest.

You can find some french and other lemon soda imported, but i think it doesnt survive the long boat ride too well. I have some high quality lemon juice, but have to find lots of sweetener for it. I wish i could get sorrento lemons from volcanic areas of italy... they need almost no sweetener and taste like heaven.

Last edited by daft; 01-29-2013 at 04:53 AM. Reason: typo

Old 02-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #17
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If there is a Costco near you, consider buying 'Italian Volcano Lemon Juice'. They are from Sicily, near Mt Etna apparently. Very good product!

Motto: quel che sara sara

Quick Reply