Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Kegs? Sodastream? aaah HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
littlebirdsoda
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Kegs? Sodastream? aaah HELP!

Hello everyone!!

I've been using a sodastream and homemade syrups to sell sodas at farmers markets....it works really well, but now I want to bottle my sodas to send off to cafes in state!! I have had several requests for it (super exciting) but I am CLUELESS when it comes to bottling/carbonating/etc.

I've never brewed beer or soda...do I do it with yeast??? If I do it with a keg...i've been trying to understand all the PSI and force carbonating but I need someone to explain it to me as if I were 5 haha.

I REALLY want to use clear glass bottles. I tried to funnel soda that I'd carbonated into a glass bottle and cap it, but it is always flat after a day of being in the fridge. I think I may be losing too much carbonation in the transfer...?

So if I get a keg...whats next? I realize this is a really stupid question...but if I'm serious about wanting to distribute it, I better learn You guys are all so smart and I can't wait to learn from you!! Thank you SO much!

Old 09-22-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
FromZwolle
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i'm no expert on soda, but this may help you out on your bottling troubles.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-n...eer-gun-24678/

the easy way is to buy a blichmann beer gun, but they cost $.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
FromZwolle
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebirdsoda View Post
I REALLY want to use clear glass bottles.
shouldn't be any problem for a soda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebirdsoda View Post
I've never brewed beer or soda...do I do it with yeast??? If I do it with a keg...i've been trying to understand all the PSI and force carbonating but I need someone to explain it to me as if I were 5 haha.
i could tell you how to do it with beer, but i'm not really sure about sodas. here's a link i found that might be helpful

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f95/forc...g-soda-184473/

Old 09-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
littlebirdsoda
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you for your help! I'll try these....anyone else have suggestions?? So excited about trying it all out!

Old 09-23-2011, 12:25 AM   #5
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Pretty much what they said. Rather than using the soda stream, use:

A co2 tank, with a regulator, hoses, connectors and a keg, as well as a dispensor and a hose. It'll all look like http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=325

If you want, you can also get a carbonator cap ($15) which allows you to carbonate 2 liter bottles, like you would a soda stream.

With the keg setup, however, you'll probably be looking at various ways of carbonating the water/premixed soda, usually by forcing the co2 into the keg, either by the top connection, or using an airstone, then chilling it down to around 0C/32F I think there's some lower freezing point due to sugar, then bottling it using the beergun/nostinking beergun technique.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts

Sounds like you are losing carbonation in the transfer, you need to keep it super cold or under pressure to really keep good carbonation.

If you're going to sell and distribute, it would be safer to find a co-packer, I think. Check the BEVnet forums, there's a list there. That way they can do the labelling, get FDA approvals, and shelf life testing and may get you around having your own liability insurance. You may have trouble finding someone that will do glass and still do a small run, the smallest run I've seen is 6-8 pallets, which I would guess is between 360-800 24-count cases.

The thing about bottling your own is that there's a very high likelihood of getting wild yeast into your bottle, even with good sanitation. Without alcohol (like beer) or perservatives, you can have your bottles go bad in as little as three weeks. Which could be a big problem.

I'd advise against bottling at home with the intent to sell. You just can't get much of a quality product at home, there are any number of things that can go wrong with an unpasteurized product without preservatives.

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Quick Reply