Kegging problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alucard1983

Reaction score
Ok I got my kegerator set up at 34f and 30 psi. I have 50 ft of 3/16 ID tubing. As soon as then liquid in the line is fresh from the keg, I get almost all foam. The first glass is alway perfect. Second is all flam and flat. Any suggestions on problem and fix?

Im running 25'of hose at 30psi. I get a little more foam then I'd like but not as bad as you're sayin. I did read a thread about wintergreen helpin with head retention, but I've done root beer batches with or without it and have the same amount of foam. I'd say my glasses are 40% foam on the pour and it desolves pretty rapidly. Clean lines and a clean tap help. I noticed leaving the bristle tap cleaner/plug in there at all times has helped. A tiny bit of hardened soda on the end of the tap reaked havoc on my root beer with tons if foam. Cleaned the tap up really well and it started pouring nicely. I'm still fairly new to this bit those are the first things I thought of and also happened to me. Good luck.

Same rules apply to cleaning. Any soda inside the tap will turn into thick syrup and eventually harden. I've found just a little bit inside the spigot will reak havoc on the foam. If I plug the tap with the bristle style cleaner plug thing you get from you local brew shop, it helps that. I run the bristle up a few times to get any left overs out and pour away. Before I put it back in, I run it under some hot tap water to clean any sticky stuff off it.

Curious the difference between Soda and Beer. I have a two tap set up with a 3 gallon keg of root beer and a 5 of beer running off the same regulator set at 10 psi serving at 38F with 5' of line. Both kegs were force carbed identically and both pour perfectly from first glass to last with good carbonation.

I don't know. Every forum I've ever read has come up with the same 25-30' of 5/16 ID hose and 25-35 psi to carb and serve. The length is to reduce foam from the high psi needed for carbing. Maybe all the advice I've ever read is crap and 10psi on a 5' hose works perfectly. I'm not an expert just followed the most common suggestions after tons and tons of research.

I don't know. Every forum I've ever read has come up with the same 25-30' of 5/16 ID hose and 25-35 psi to carb and serve. The length is to reduce foam from the high psi needed for carbing. Maybe all the advice I've ever read is crap and 10psi on a 5' hose works perfectly. I'm not an expert just followed the most common suggestions after tons and tons of research.

Since sodas are carbed much higher than beer, using 5' of line will create explosive pours unless you turn it down to have much lower carbed soda.

You don't want 5/16" line, though- that's WAY too big. You need much smaller beer line, like 3/16", and about 30' of that at 30 psi and 38-40 degrees.

Sorry typo. I'm using 3/16 line. Maybe 5/16 on my co2 though. Can't recall. I was just making a comment towards the previous guy saying he's running beer and root beer off a 2 tap system, both carbed at equal psi and both using 5' of line. From everything I've read, that shouldn't be carbed enough for soda with that low of a psi.

Jesseedge said:
Sorry typo. I'm using 3/16 line. Maybe 5/16 on my co2 though. Can't recall. I was just making a comment towards the previous guy saying he's running beer and root beer off a 2 tap system, both carbed at equal psi and both using 5' of line. From everything I've read, that shouldn't be carbed enough for soda with that low of a psi.

You are correct, I'm not a regular soda guy so my root beer is not at a real soda psi but its fine for what we do and have:)

soo seeing my thread was hijacked... so what length of line do i need for 30-35 psi? i currently have 50 feet

Your thread wasn't hijacked dude. I answered the question with the very first response. Someone else chimed in saying they were running the same hose as their beer with the same low psi as beer. I responded that everything I had ever read didn't support that. All referring to your question. How was your thread hijacked? Not like we started talking about rebuilding a small block Chevy.

Back