Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Intro to soda questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
caustin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Intro to soda questions.

So, for Christmas my parents were nice enough to get me a two keg kegerator conversion kit and I was hoping I could start doing soda now with force Carb. So, my questions are whether or not having soda in one keg will make my co2 tank last a lot fewer kegs. I only have a 20oz tank so I'd like to be able to get both kegs out of one fill.
2) I know people say that rootbeer will get flavor stuck in the lines and the kegs, so does this hold true for other sodas? Like, will I get rootbeer taste in my cream soda as well? Or if I do Ginger ale or cream soda will it get flavor into my beer as well?
3) will a 20ft or 30ft hose be better for a soda only keg?
Thank you guys for your great advice.
-Connor

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I run my soda at 37 psi, that's 3-4 times as much CO2 as for beer.

Soda flavors do get stuck in the plastic. Just reserve one tap for soda and it won't be a big deal.

I use 20 ft of 3/16ths.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
caustin
Recipes 

So, even though the soda flavors get stuck in the plastic, would I notice it for going between different sodas, say rootbeer to cream soda to ginger ale? And thank you for the information. I believe I'm going to try and upgrade to the 5 lb tank.
-Connor

Old 12-30-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
CJR
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I run my second keg as carbonated water and add the syrups when water is dispensed. This would also stop the issue of the keg having a soda flavour stuck in the lines.

Not sure about the line length I'm afraid. Compromise and go with 25ft?

Brewing: Brewer's Choice Black Country Mild w/ DME
Keg 1: Muntons Connoisseur's Yorkshire Bitter
Keg 2: Carbonated water

Planned (Beer): Twisted Stout (BIAB)
Planned (Soda Syrups): Orange, Cream Soda, Lemon, Lime, Cherry.

"If I could have a beer with Jesus, heaven knows I'd sip it nice and slow..." - Thomas Rhett: Beer with Jesus.

Quick Reply