Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > I need a rootbeer recipe and a supplier

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #21
Crazy8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Well the recipe I had posted is still good and accurate. It's something I am still playing with so I am trying different things. As far as the wintergreen goes, it is subtle as far as the taste it has. I use it mostly for head retention but it does add a nice flavor to it. This is something you may want to also play with to see if you like it. But as I said, the flavor it does add is nice and very subtle. The maltodextrin turned out much better this time doing only 4oz/gallon. However I am not sure I like the cane sugar. I have made another 3 gallons tonight and have gone back to brown sugar. I think the brown sugar adds more of a flavor and sweetness I am looking for. If you ever think of that other question, don't be afraid to ask.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #22
gondzur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

The local health food/herb store only has wintergreen in the pure oil form. Would this work or would adding it be too strong?

I see that you are from Minnesota. Have you ever tried Princess Potosa root beer from Potosi Brewing in Wisconsin? Or maybe the root beer from BackPocket Brewing in Iowa? I would love to be able to make something similar...I'm hoping this recipe is just what I'm looking for!!!

Old 11-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #23
Crazy8
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I think i have heard of people using Wintergreen oil, or at least trying to, but i have not seen or heard of anything solid on its uses. I would think it would be very easy to add to much oil and would give it a very strong Wintergreen flavor. I have not tried any root beer from either.of those places. I may need to track them down and see if i can't get some sometime to check it out.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #24
malweth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 159

The Sassafras is very expensive! Any idea how much 1/4 c. is by weight? How many gallons of Root Beer will 1/4 lb make?

Also, how long does this keep, kegged (and force carbonated)? I was thinking of adding k-sorbate to it for stability.

[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

Old 12-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #25
trent_77590
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So I am looking to make some rootbeer now. I bought a bunch of kegs and ended up with a rootbeer keg. I've read a bunch about how you cannot get that flavor out of the keg and it will effect your beer. So I thought wjy not just make some rootbeer but I have a few questions.... If you can't get the flavor out of the keg how do you get it out of you kettle? Do you use something different to boil the rootbeer? Last, if you keg it do you pour it right out of one of your perlicks?

Old 01-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #26
meich75
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malweth View Post
The Sassafras is very expensive! Any idea how much 1/4 c. is by weight? How many gallons of Root Beer will 1/4 lb make?

Also, how long does this keep, kegged (and force carbonated)? I was thinking of adding k-sorbate to it for stability.
It's not expensive at all. Just take a walk in the woods, the stuff grows from Florida to Maine. The leaves are easy to spot and even easier to smell.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:46 AM   #27
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 462

http://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=653&q=sassafras+leaf&oq=sasafra&gs_l=img.1.7.0i10l10.1026.2891.0.6638.7.7.0.0.0.0.274.1160.1j5j1.7.0...0.0...1ac.1.XXJFNtsBhgc

Old 01-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #28
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Well since this thread has been necrotized I would like to ask a few questions.

I am looking to make this in 15-20gal batches and force carb to eliminate the chance of any alcohol content (since this is for a business).

The question is the same as Trents up above, how well does this clean up out of a boil kettle? Will it leave residual taste in anything boiled afterward in the same kettle?

I understand hoses etc. will all have to be dedicated solely to the making of root beer at that point and am working to secure that aspect along with dedicated corny kegs for this, but the kettle is a big consideration I have to account for.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Old 01-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #29
kzimmer0817
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Glad to come upon this thread. Please don't let this message cause you to forget the question posted by Nightshade above.

Several months ago I googled about Root Beer. I remember reading something about one of the ingredients being quite poisonous if not prepared properly. I'm thinking that it was the sassafras root, but I can't remember. What I read had something to do with scraping away a part of the root/bark/whatever prior to using it.

I do have several more threads to review after having searched for "root beer" on the HBT forum, so I may find my answer.

Thanks,
Keith

Old 01-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #30
trent_77590
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bump for answers......

Quick Reply