Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > On The Hunt For Root Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2013, 04:24 AM   #31
Theron_Jon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

That looks pretty good.

What do you think is the difference in the commercial root beers you're trying to get closer to? Is it mouthfeel? If so, you can add some malt-dextrine to make it have a bit of body and a creamy mouthfeel.

Don't add too much though! My son used too much and made root-beer Jello. He loved it, but it was gross to me. I don't remember the exact amount, but it's not much at all- maybe a tablespoon for 2 quarts (but check the "dosage"! as I'm not sure at all).

What happens if you leave out the salt? Does the rootbeer really need it to balance? I'd try leaving out the salt, too, to see if that brings the full sweet rich flavor into it (I assume that's what you're missing).

Are you using "dark brown sugar", or the light? You may want to use the molasses-y dark brown sugar if you've used the lighter one.
Sassafras was stopped being used commercially because it increases the risk of cancer when you consumed, use it cautiously.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #32
Crazy8
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron_Jon View Post
Sassafras was stopped being used commercially because it increases the risk of cancer when you consumed, use it cautiously.
I would say that it is safe to say that this is equally a false statement. I say that because there are seemingly just as many sources saying that it is safe as there are saying its not safe. I would only hold this as being accurate if there was harder evidence and more consistency in evidence. However, it is true that the FDA did make a stink about it (back in the 60's I think?) because the safrole oil it produces is a cancer promoter.

With that said though, my findings have also shown that their are just has much carcinogens in the air we breath. I would also say that for anyone who is a smoker, and assuming the statement is true, they are inhaling far more carcinogens than what Sassafras contains. One of the big things to think about that blows your statement out of the water is that Sassafras itself is not what causes the cancer, its safrole oil produced by the trees that is in question and has shown to promote cancer. Their are Sassafras extracts which have the safrole oil removed.

I would say that since the Sassafras root is not being used to produce an extract and that it is sitting in water (the worst medium for extracting) for only for about 30 minutes or so. When making an extract you need to use a very high proof alcohol, such as Everclear, and even then the sassafras still needs to be submerged for a very long time. Im no doctor nor am I a scientist but I can only speculate that the chances of anyone in here getting cancer from brewing root beer is very very very VERY slim.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #33
Bluespark
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

I'm pretty sure the cancer/diabetes/heart disease causing effects of white sugar and wheat products have been more effectively proven, yet much of the world consumes them daily, if not with every meal.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:43 AM   #34
djbradle
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbradle
I did Stephen Cresswell's simple Sassafras rootbeer which took 1/4 ounce of Sassafras root, 2 cups sugar, 3-4 qt water, and bread yeast. That one was really good! Great spicy root beer flavor and quite light in color. I tried a grape soda with 100% grape juice, water, a tad more sugar, with Red Star wine yeast ( yellow packet) and it was sulphur city! Absolutely terrible and fermented at the same temp as the root beer.

Fast forward 10 months to today and I tried the Cresswell recipe again but instead with Cuvee since it's advertised as being the most neutral champagne yeast they have. I did one gallon of that. I also tried 2 gallons of that recipe customized with:
.4 oz sassafras
.3 oz juniper berries crushed
1 cinnamon stick
2 oz ginger root
.25 oz licorice root
.4 oz dried sweet orange peel
1 lb Light muscovado sugar

I'll let you all know how they turn out
Well I never got around to commenting but that recipe was quite nice. The ginger was a good compliment and the beer went too fast! The Cuvee yeast produced zero off flavors so it's now my go to yeast.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:46 AM   #35
djbradle
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluespark
I'm pretty sure the cancer/diabetes/heart disease causing effects of white sugar and wheat products have been more effectively proven, yet much of the world consumes them daily, if not with every meal.
+100
Too much talk of abstaining from this food and that food. Moderation and thanksgiving is the key.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #36
1druncle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8 View Post
Here is the requested recipe...

Ingredients:
8 Qts. Water
24 oz. Honey
3 Star Anise