Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > how much does the type of yeast affect the overall flavor of the soda

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
FarFromBilly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default how much does the type of yeast affect the overall flavor of the soda

I started brewing soda. I was wondering if there is any noticable flavor differences with bottle conditioning with different yeasts? Any suggestions on what yeasts yeild a less noticable "yeastie" taste. Or would reducing the amount of water per batch going to be enough to enhance the overall flavor of the soda to counteract any noticable "yeastieness"?
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Champagne yeasts are generally recommended. I've used Red Star pasteur champagne, and there is still a yeasty taste to it, but less noticible than bread yeast. I've also had success with Red Star Premier Cuvee with recipes that are prone to H2S (rotten egg) smells.

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply