Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Is homemeade root beer supposed to have a funk?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
BrewBalls
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is homemeade root beer supposed to have a funk?

I'm using rainbow rootbeer extract, coopers brewing yeast, and natural cane sugar. 3 days after bottling I opened a bottle and took a whiff. And it kind of stinks. Tastes fine, but stinks. I know I wasn't as careful sanitizing as when I brewed some beer. I just washed the bottles. But if its a bacterial infection, then it would affect the taste also, right? Is the smell a byproduct of the yeast carbonation? is it from using cane sugar instead of white sugar?

I'm almost ready to refrigerate it later today. I guess it should age 1-2 weeks. Will smell and taste improve greatly over this aging process in the fridge?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply