Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Homemade Soda --- New Book...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
EFaden
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Homemade Soda --- New Book...

Hey All,

Just thought I would post about what Brown just delivered. I ordered this a while back and it finally came out last week. It is a book by Andrew Schloss called "Homemade Soda: 200 Recipes for Making and Using.... ". It is actually a pretty cool book and he has a ton of recipes. I actually contacted him about scaling the recipes for use in my kegerator... I'll let you know how they turn out.

If you are interested it is at http://www.amazon.com/Homemade-Soda-...5673156&sr=8-1

I am not all the way through the book yet, but it does have a number of recipes that sound awesome and I plan to try. Thats all for now... let me know if you have any questions.

-Eric

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 12:51 AM   #2
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

Looks promising as a resource. Is it scaled for a single glass/pitcher, what people who buy soda water would do? At least for the soda recipes.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:05 AM   #3
EFaden
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Looks promising as a resource. Is it scaled for a single glass/pitcher, what people who buy soda water would do? At least for the soda recipes.
Most of the recipes in the book are either scaled for a single glass mixed with seltzer or to be used in a soda siphon (so more for the people that buy seltzer). They are also volume based recipes. I emailed the author and he responded and is going to help get me started converting a couple of the recipes to a weight based formulation so I can keg them... volume based measurements can have issues with scaling due to error etc..... When I emailed him he emailed me back within 36 hours... (I was really impressed). I'll post an update once this semester is done and I have a chance to play with a few of the recipes. I plan to test them in a "medium" scale using a 2L bottle and a carbonator cap...

A lot of the recipes look interesting... especially some of the root beers... one seems to look similar to a Virgil's (I think thats the first one on my list).

-Eric

Old 02-10-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
Brewnanza
Recipes 

Have you get a chance to make one in the keg yet? I also own the book and would like like to be able to make them in 5gal keg.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
Rigger103
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewnanza View Post
Have you get a chance to make one in the keg yet? I also own the book and would like like to be able to make them in 5gal keg.
I just purchased the Kindle version of the book and also will be interrested in 5 gal kegging recipies.

You don't choose a life...........you live one

Old 02-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
Raudhbjorn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I bought that a few weeks ago. Lots of interesting ideas, and not a few weird-ass ones.

Gentlemen prefer blondes, real men prefer stouts.

Horn & Mug

Primary: Mooseberry Porter, JOAM, Hobo Cider, County USA Irish Red

Old 02-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
EFaden
Recipes 

Still haven't had a chance. I'm in medical school, so my time is limited. On the to do list though.

-Eric

Quick Reply