New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Homemade Diet Coke




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 04:54 AM   #1
Cutwolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Monroe, NJ
Posts: 3
Default Homemade Diet Coke

Hi all --

My gf is a fountain diet coke addict. Bottled or canned is not the same, she likes the fresh from the fountain diet coke.

I was thinking some sort of small at home kit would be a good x-mas present.

I saw the Penguin Sodastream, but the flavors are all very generic and supposedly don't taste like the real thing.

Knowing my GF, if it doesn't taste like the real thing, the gift will be a dud.

So, a few questions:

1) Is it possible to buy real diet coke syrup anywhere?

2) Would the real diet coke syrup work with the Penguin Sodastream?

3) If not, what's the cheapest and easiest way to provide her the fountain soda experience at home?

Thanks all



__________________
Cutwolf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 05:27 AM   #2
beninan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangor, Maine
Posts: 997
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Default

just going out on a limb here:
buy a kegging setup with a 5 gallon keg and a tank of CO2 and 5 gallons of bottled diet coke. sanitize the keg and dump in the 5 gallons of coke and carbonate. Maybe?
I'm not sure if that would make much difference in the taste tho.



__________________
beninan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
fineexampl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edison, NJ
Posts: 667
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutwolf View Post
Hi all --

My gf is a fountain diet coke addict. Bottled or canned is not the same, she likes the fresh from the fountain diet coke.

I was thinking some sort of small at home kit would be a good x-mas present.

I saw the Penguin Sodastream, but the flavors are all very generic and supposedly don't taste like the real thing.

Knowing my GF, if it doesn't taste like the real thing, the gift will be a dud.

So, a few questions:

1) Is it possible to buy real diet coke syrup anywhere?

2) Would the real diet coke syrup work with the Penguin Sodastream?

3) If not, what's the cheapest and easiest way to provide her the fountain soda experience at home?

Thanks all
You're in NJ. Call Reliable Carbonic in New Brunswick. They will sell you genuine Diet Coke syrup and advise you how to serve it. They are very ...reliable? hahaha haha ha


You can call just about any beverage dealer and get real Coke syrup. I think they usually sell it in fountain boxes and then you'd need a water hookup, but i don't see why you couldn't get cornies of Coke somehow.
__________________

Primary: Highway 35 Scotch Ale (Highway 78 clone), second runnings small beer

Bottled: Pitch Black Sheep IPA, Juniper Fail/Ale

Kegged: Apollo Pale Ale, South River Brown

fineexampl is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 05:30 AM   #4
MBasile
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sunnyvale, CA (NorCal)
Posts: 1,513
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
just going out on a limb here:
buy a kegging setup with a 5 gallon keg and a tank of CO2 and 5 gallons of bottled diet coke. sanitize the keg and dump in the 5 gallons of coke and carbonate. Maybe?
I'm not sure if that would make much difference in the taste tho.
I may just be an asshole, but I don't think I'd go through the trouble of pouring out 5 gallons worth of coke bottles. Anyways, for the OP, good luck finding a commercial product identical to Coke, I'm sure they have that stuff under lock and key. Your best bet is just to convince her that pepsi is better.
__________________

Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

MBasile is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
Cutwolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Monroe, NJ
Posts: 3
Default

I picked up Diet Coke syrup at SAMs club (was told it's usually sold there and found it).

Will it work with the soda stream products?

Also, I'll give that new Brunswick place a call. Thx!

__________________
Cutwolf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 06:36 AM   #6
marzsit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: kent, wa.
Posts: 315
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutwolf View Post
I picked up Diet Coke syrup at SAMs club (was told it's usually sold there and found it).

Will it work with the soda stream products?

Also, I'll give that new Brunswick place a call. Thx!

you can use any syrups with the sodastream units, but the mixing ratio will be different. with regular bag-in-box syrups, the ratio is 5 parts soda water to 1 part of syrup. for diet syrups, the ratio is 5.5 parts soda water to 1 part of syrup. sodastream syrups are much more concentrated, between 20:1 and 24:1..
__________________
marzsit is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2010, 05:08 AM   #7
Cutwolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Monroe, NJ
Posts: 3
Default

So, just to be clear, if I use 20 oz of soda water made with the penguin, I'd use a little over 3.5 oz of the real diet coke syrup?

Whereas using the sodastream syrups, I'd only use 1 oz or so?

__________________
Cutwolf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 06:12 AM   #8
acpoweradapter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutwolf View Post
So, just to be clear, if I use 20 oz of soda water made with the penguin, I'd use a little over 3.5 oz of the real diet coke syrup?

Whereas using the sodastream syrups, I'd only use 1 oz or so?
Yes, roughly. Test it out a couple times and see which she likes best.


__________________
acpoweradapter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whiskey and Coke on Tap blackcows Soda Making 19 01-27-2011 05:15 AM
Diet Soda Without Forced Carbonation jwynia Soda Making 12 09-27-2010 05:04 PM
Diet Soda Douglefish Soda Making 1 12-24-2009 06:56 AM
Diet Root Beer? TronCarter Soda Making 10 10-09-2008 05:55 PM
diet soda? A4J Soda Making 8 06-20-2008 02:00 AM