*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Home made carbonater help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
Keibatsu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

honestly I have no idea if you could attach a CO2 tank regulator, I suppose it could be possible. The reason I have this setup is because it was incredibly inexpensive to put together, cost me around $40, where as just a CO2 tank regulator would cost at least that much. Unfortunately, I cannot get the psi coming out of the canister to be lower than about 100 and I have no idea what the psi is inside the actual bottle. I just go off of feel, just push the chuck to the tire valve real quick and check if the bottle is firm and shake and repeat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #12
stephen115
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I made a batch of non-alcoholic ginger beer the other day and I use a big Gatorade bottle with a tire stem through the cap. Charged it and moved it around. It's been in the refrigerator since yesterday and it hasn't seemed to loose any pressure. I'll let you know in a few days.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
Keibatsu
Recipes 

So from a bit of research I have found that you can indeed attatch a normal paintball CO2 tank to a full size regulator using this adaptor or I am sure there are similar things from other companies. However I cannot seem to find a normal regulator for less than $45, and then the adaptor is $7 on sale, it seems very expensive to build even using a paintball tank. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive regulator?

Old 11-28-2012, 04:24 AM   #14
stephen115
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Your looking at around $80 for that set up. Might as well find a used keg and make some bigger batches. I might actually consider your idea though but incorporate a 5L mini keg. I just don't know how much PSi one can hold.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #15
Keibatsu
Recipes 

Ok, so because I am trying to save money (half to actually save money and half for the challenge) I decided on a new build for my small batch 2 liter carbonator, I am going to adapt the one I already have which I posted in the original post and basically just replace the regular chuck with a locking chuck that also has a build in psi gauge (if i can find one) and I will add a valve in the middle of the line to control the CO2 flow. This way I can still use the tire stem system which is cheap and easy, not waste too much CO2, and be able to control my charging more accurately and know the pressure inside the 2 liter. I will update with pictures if I can get this together successfully. The main reason I want the valve and the CO2 gauge is because I know the paintball regulator doesnt get the psi any lower than about 100 psi, which is way to high and could burst a 2 liter bottle. Hell, actually I could just replace my regular chuck at the end with something like this and get two in one.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:11 AM   #16
Keibatsu
Recipes 

Success!! I adapted my kit to a tire inflating gun and now I can accurately charge my drinks and all for only about $50. The paintball regulator was only$13 here , The CO2 tank is a 12oz and was $15 from the same site, the tubing and hardware was around $5 at home depot, and the tire inflator gun was $17 at walmart but you can find cheaper online. I tested it on some refrigerator temperature water and charged it a few times at around 70-80 psi squeezing the air out the first time of course and shook it of course a few times and BOY was it fizzy.

Quick Reply