HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Hi all; looking for advice on Root Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
FatBaldBeerGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default Hi all; looking for advice on Root Beer

I've been homebrewing ale for about 2 years now and have moved on to kegging; but I promised my daughter I would do a root beer for her and her brother. I want to do 5 gallons of root beer in akeg and force carbonate.

I've looked at several threads on here already with lots of recipes; but what I am wondering is what extract and additions will allow me to create the "best" authentic root beer that isn't overly involved? I don't want the result to suck, but I would rather not be trying to work 30 different ingredients to get the "right" taste either

I don't mind spending a few dollars for proper ingredients if they are needed to get the right taste; but I can't really afford to go too crazy with it.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

On Deck: Noble Trappist
Primary: Cream Ale
Secondary: None
Kegged:
Drinking: All gone!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 01:28 AM   #2
FatBaldBeerGuy
Recipes 

As an example; I was looking at this in the recipe section and it seems pretty straight-forward:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f171/aa-root-beer-kegged-210057/

I think we can handle something like that; but are there better recipes out there?

Thanks!

Kegged:

Old 11-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3847 Times on 2811 Posts
Likes Given: 638

I'm not much of a fan of the "recipes" with real roots. I just like the extract ones the best.

I've used McCormick's extract, the cheap extract from the grocery store and I liked it just fine. My favorite was much more expensive- the Sprecher's root beer syrup from Northern Brewer.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
daft
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I've never seen rootbeer extract in a local grocery store, but even basic needs like salad olives are not available within 2500 miles of here. I did order zaterain rb extract from the occasional amazon deal of 75% off when buying a dozen.

It was a disappointment (note the post suggesting adding roots to it) until I used agave syrup, whose mapley taste is very sympatico with root beer. Sam's club sells Xagave brand at a non-outrageous price, at least when you factor in the cheap extract deal.

Tripping on carbonic acid, high on fructose!

Old 11-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daft View Post
I've never seen rootbeer extract in a local grocery store, but even basic needs like salad olives are not available within 2500 miles of here. I did order zaterain rb extract from the occasional amazon deal of 75% off when buying a dozen.

It was a disappointment (note the post suggesting adding roots to it) until I used agave syrup, whose mapley taste is very sympatico with root beer. Sam's club sells Xagave brand at a non-outrageous price, at least when you factor in the cheap extract deal.
They have McCormicks in all of our stores- root beer, vanilla, almond extract, etc, right in the baking aisle. It's pretty good, better than Zataran's in my opinion.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
FatBaldBeerGuy
Recipes 

OK thanks guys (and gals) so is it worth it to simply brew the extract recipe alone then? I'd probably go with Gnome or McCormicks if I can get that one here (I know I can get Gnome).

I saw the thread about adding molasses to enhance the foaming; is that recommended too?

Kegged:

Old 11-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBaldBeerGuy View Post
OK thanks guys (and gals) so is it worth it to simply brew the extract recipe alone then? I'd probably go with Gnome or McCormicks if I can get that one here (I know I can get Gnome).

I saw the thread about adding molasses to enhance the foaming; is that recommended too?
Well, I hate molasses, so I'd vote no.

One thing that does help (in small amounts) is maltodextrine. A tiny bit helps with "thickness" and mouthfeel. I never had a problem with foaming or anything so I don't think that needs enhancement.

The thing about malto dextrine is that too much is not good. My son made root beer and one time he must have used too much malto dextrine- he had root beer jello in PET bottles.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #8
Billy-Klubb
Capt. Floccin' Awesome
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1791 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 3471

unlike the Yoop, I'm more of a fan of Zataran's than McCormicks. though, McCormicks is good. I also tried Gnome & like it too. I'm also a big fan of using honey & dark brown sugar.

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Old 11-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
MrFoodScientist
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you're going to add molasses, keep the amounts low because it can come out really strong really quickly.
Also, some brands of molasses are stronger than others. Some have a very sharp flavor and others have a really smooth flavor even within the same grade.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #10
FatBaldBeerGuy
Recipes 

Thanks for the info; any advice on which molasses to avoid? Yooper, I like your idea but I was unable to find any Malto for the moment. I may try that in the second batch to compare them, thanks!

I only plan on using like 1/2 cup in 5 gallons to aid in head retention; I'm really not looking to add much in the way of flavor (though I do know that even 1/2 cup can change the flavor some).

I'm thinking I'll do like 1.5 lbs of brown sugar, 1/2 cup molasses, and sweeten with white sugar up to where we want it, probably around a pound or so.

Kegged:

Quick Reply