Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Here goes nothing....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2010, 02:01 AM   #11
callmebruce
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good luck with the blueberries, I'm sure they'll be great!

I had some blackraspberries and an old cook book series from Time Life. One of the books is on drinks. So I tried their instructions for making a fruit syrup. I cheated a little (used a blender). I put the blackraspberries in a blender and mixed them. Then put them through a sieve. Then measured and put in a pan and cooked them, mixing two cups of sugar per one cup of fruit syrup.

After cooling, I mixed a couple tablespoons of blackraspberry/sugar syrup with a glass of cold seltzer. It was good! My youngest son really liked the blackraspberry soda, and it was gone quickly.

I figured I'd try it with strawberries. Same deal. Popped 'em in the blender, sieved 'em, put 'em in a pot with a 1 cup strawberry juice to two cups sugar ratio. Cooked it into a syrup. Put a couple tablespoons in a tall glass and added seltzer for a strawberry soda. It was okay, not as good as the blackraspberry.

I then read about strawberry ice cream sodas, so thought I'd try it. I put two tablespoons of strawberry syrup in the bottom of a tall glass. Then a scoop of good vanilla ice cream. Then more strawberry syrup. Then another scoop of ice cream. Then I poured in cold seltzer. I mixed it a little bit with a tall spoon, and it was great!

So - save some of that blueberry syrup for making a blueberry ice cream soda. I bet it would be great.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply