Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Help with my Ginger Beer (non-alcoholic)???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
bassmosphere
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duganderson View Post
Why is sanitation not required when you force carbonate?

Also, how much is the cost of a tank and regulator? How much does it cost to fill the tank with CO2? How often do you typically need to refill the tank with CO2?
When you force carbonate and keep your product in the fridge, you don't really have to worry about it spoiling. When you are fermenting with yeast, you are keeping the brew at temperatures that other organisms will grow. Ever make iced tea or lemonade? Well making soda and force carbonating is pretty much the same idea, except you're adding CO2.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2010, 10:24 PM   #12
bassmosphere
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Simply because many soda makers don't have a supply of co2 around. For keggers, yes, it's much simpler to force carb. But for the majority of soda makers who don't have a regulator, a co2 tank, etc, the yeast is the way to go.

One package of champange yeast is about $.79 cents.
A gas setup doesn't have to be expensive, and for me, it paid for itself on it's first use. Just keep your eye on ebay for a regulator. I got mine for $25 shipped. If you're not going to be making a ton of soda, you could go for a paintball tank which you can get for anywhere between $10-$20 shipped. This tank will give you about 30 liters of soda and cost a few dollars to fill. You'll need a nut to connect the paintball sized tank to a standard regulator, which you can get from Williams.

So you're looking at somewhere between $50-$75 if you do your homework and shop around.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply