Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Gnome Spicy Ginger Beer extract from Northern Brewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default Gnome Spicy Ginger Beer extract from Northern Brewer

Does anyone have experience with this extract? The website says it makes between 5 and 10 gallons depending on how spicy you want it. I've never used this one before but I was hoping for something fairly spicy like Reed's Extra Ginger or Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale. I'm assuming I'd probably want to make 5 gallons but was hoping someone might have some feedback.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'm guessing from the lack of replies that nobody has any experience with the extract.

I finally got around to mixing this up today. I went with a 5 gallon batch sweetened with 4# of turbinado an 1# of plain old granulated sugar. I opened the extract and it smelled of ginger (not surprise) but also had a very strong earthy aroma.

Before adding the extract to the water/sugar mixture, the mixture was a nice clear amber. After adding the extract it turned a murky muddy brown color. Not the most appetizing appearance, but I tasted some and it tasted great.

If you like your ginger beer spicy, definitely don't dilute it more than 5 gallons.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
jefflane510
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbusbrewery
I'm guessing from the lack of replies that nobody has any experience with the extract.

I finally got around to mixing this up today. I went with a 5 gallon batch sweetened with 4# of turbinado an 1# of plain old granulated sugar. I opened the extract and it smelled of ginger (not surprise) but also had a very strong earthy aroma.

Before adding the extract to the water/sugar mixture, the mixture was a nice clear amber. After adding the extract it turned a murky muddy brown color. Not the most appetizing appearance, but I tasted some and it tasted great.

If you like your ginger beer spicy, definitely don't dilute it more than 5 gallons.
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I had pretty much the same experience you reported. The color is certainly odd, but I liked the flavor. In the future I'd probably just stick with mixing up my own off the cuff recipes.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflane510 View Post
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I had pretty much the same experience you reported. The color is certainly odd, but I liked the flavor. In the future I'd probably just stick with mixing up my own off the cuff recipes.
Yeah, my wife wasn't home when I mixed it up, but when she walked in and saw the color she was like "what the hell is that???"

I usually do a simple brew using my Ginger Beer Plant, but I wanted to give this one a try. A couple of my kids like ginger sodas, but I'm not sure they'll be willing to try this one based on the appearance.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
JaimesBeam
Recipes 

I tried the Gnome Root Beer Extract, and it is miles better then the run of the mill Rainbow
extract. I wouldn't bother with the Rainbow extract, but the Gnome is as good a root beer
as I've ever had.

Jim

Quick Reply